Pointer Finger Pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Has anyone had experience with finger problems when catching the ball? Ever since I got my new glove earlier this season, I have occasionally had some issues when the ball is thrown hard. In the beginning of the season, it would hurt super bad, so I tried taping it for padding. It got better and I didn’t feel any pain throughout the rest of high school, or all of travel season. Then last night, after just coming off a tournament weekend, it started back up. They had me play first at 16/18 tryouts, and I had some pretty hard throws coming at me. Not sure what it could be, but if anyone has any ideas or comments, all are welcomed.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Not sure what it could be, but if anyone has any ideas or comments, all are welcomed.
Two quick thoughts, both might be wrong, but here goes.

1. Is your pointer finger inside our outside of glove? I've heard of this with people who run finger inside glove.

2. Also might simple be a case of taking a lot of throws in a short period of time and I am guessing, because it was at tryouts, the throws had a little extra sauce on them.

Just my two cents.

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Two quick thoughts, both might be wrong, but here goes.

1. Is your pointer finger inside our outside of glove? I've heard of this with people who run finger inside glove.

2. Also might simple be a case of taking a lot of throws in a short period of time and I am guessing, because it was at tryouts, the throws had a little extra sauce on them.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the reply! I do keep my finger inside, but maybe trying it out could help a lot! Thanks for the tip!

Focus more on catching the ball in the web. I teach to pinch the side of the ball with thumb and pointing finger tip. So visualize pinching the side of the ball instead of catching it and it will hit in the pocket every time.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Im thinking some type of bruise as you do keep the finger in the glove, that pointer can take some abuse.

I have always used the pointer out since I was little

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019
An alternative to index finger outside the finger stall- double up pinky and ring finger into the pinky stall, then shift all fingers over one, leaving the stall for the index finger empty. This gives you a bigger pocket. I had one glove that worked best this way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
An alternative to index finger outside the finger stall- double up pinky and ring finger into the pinky stall, then shift all fingers over one, leaving the stall for the index finger empty. This gives you a bigger pocket. I had one glove that worked best this way.

FINGER SHIFT!! Every player I have introduced this to - who stuck with it past the "it feels weird" phase - loves it. Bigger pocket, more leverage on closing the glove - it's a winner!

Personally, I'm a finger out and finger shift guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101