Pocket Radar, Sports Radar Users, Cosine Angle Error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
@ArmWhip

I think you could get a good handle on this by using an iPhone and the Measure app. It measures angles- go out to the rubber, even if isn’t a stadium. Measure the angle toward where the catchers glove would be on a rise then measure the angle up to your imaginary stadium seat. Compare with chart above...

Just picturing it from my kitchen table, I would guess you are losing mph....

Jun 19, 2016
Sorry for the pseudo-hijack - but how does the gun tell the difference b/w ball speed and bat speed? Is it just reporting the last moving object recorded? I'd love to get a PR for both pitching and hitting (EV), just wondering how to read it when there's a pitched ball, swinging bat, and a batted ball all occurring within a split second.
It will give two speeds on a pitched ball that is hit.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
@ArmWhip

I think you could get a good handle on this by using an iPhone and the Measure app. It measures angles- go out to the rubber, even if isn’t a stadium. Measure the angle toward where the catchers glove would be on a rise then measure the angle up to your imaginary stadium seat. Compare with chart above...

Just picturing it from my kitchen table, I would guess you are losing mph....
Here is a link to video posted in another thread on DFP in the pitching forum. Look at the trajectory that the ball has in the section between release and the first 20m segment. If you pause it and put a ruler on the screen the upwards angle is clear, it you extend it out to the bleachers behind home plate it is up in the stands. Since ball speed is fastest right out of the hand being up in the stands puts the radar more in line with fastest part of the pitch. Being at ground level is going to put you below the initial ball trajectory.

Jun 19, 2016
Left and right seem make a difference pretty quickly. Up and down make a big difference in hitting. You have to predict the path of the ball. If you are aiming strait and the ball goes up you will not get a true speed.

Oct 4, 2018
Sorry for the pseudo-hijack - but how does the gun tell the difference b/w ball speed and bat speed? Is it just reporting the last moving object recorded? I'd love to get a PR for both pitching and hitting (EV), just wondering how to read it when there's a pitched ball, swinging bat, and a batted ball all occurring within a split second.

For my 11 year old DD, when she pitches and the batter doesn't hit the ball, the Pocket Radar reads 48-50. When someone hits the ball, it reads in the 60s. So I don't really take any readings for when the batter hits the ball. I just ignore those.

Oct 4, 2018
It will give two speeds on a pitched ball that is hit.

Correct. You'll see it reads 50 (the pitch) and then quickly changes to 60 (the hit). You can go back to the prior reading to get the speed of the pitch before it was hit. Personally, I just ignore the readings when the batter hits it. Plenty of good pitches that aren't swung at to measure.

Oct 4, 2018
Here is a link to video posted in another thread on DFP in the pitching forum. Look at the trajectory that the ball has in the section between release and the first 20m segment. If you pause it and put a ruler on the screen the upwards angle is clear, it you extend it out to the bleachers behind home plate it is up in the stands. Since ball speed is fastest right out of the hand being up in the stands puts the radar more in line with fastest part of the pitch. Being at ground level is going to put you below the initial ball trajectory.

So add 5 mph to all pitcher speeds when standing on the ground. Nice!!!!

Nov 18, 2015
For my 11 year old DD, when she pitches and the batter doesn't hit the ball, the Pocket Radar reads 48-50.
Our top 3 pitchers (first year 12U - so 11, 11, and 10) are only at 40/41. It's going to be a brutal Spring - maybe we'll save "B" level for next year!

Oct 4, 2018
Our top 3 pitchers (first year 12U - so 11, 11, and 10) are only at 40/41. It's going to be a brutal Spring - maybe we'll save "B" level for next year!

Do the girls have a change-up?

Speed kills, and my DD gets a lot of Ks because of her speed. But the location and changing speeds is really why she succeeds. Her spin is pretty lousy. But we'll get there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478