PLEASE STOP SAYING 'your doing it wrong'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Here is a fun story. When I was in 8th grade I averaged 25 points a game. I could shoot but my release was a bit low and wasn't going to work at a higher level. That said I was a confident shooter. I got to HS as a 9th grader and the varsity coach told me my shot was not going to work and I needed to change it, that is it. So me being me I went out and worked my rear off (as usual) but with no guidance and now no confidence. I ended up worse and was a total head case..I basically forgot how to shoot. For anybody who follows basketball it was basically a Markelle Fultz situation. Eventually the head coach tried to give me some drills to help but by that point it was too late..It took me years, way after I actually stopped playing organized basketball, to get out of my own head with regards to shooting a basketball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here is a fun story. When I was in 8th grade I averaged 25 points a game. I could shoot but my release was a bit low and wasn't going to work at a higher level. That said I was a confident shooter. I got to HS as a 9th grader and the varsity coach told me my shot was not going to work and I needed to change it, that is it. So me being me I went out and worked my rear off (as usual) but with no guidance and now no confidence. I ended up worse and was a total head case..I basically forgot how to shoot. For anybody who follows basketball it was basically a Markelle Fultz situation. Eventually the head coach tried to give me some drills to help but by that point it was too late..It took me years, way after I actually stopped playing organized basketball, to get out of my own head with regards to shooting a basketball.

actually there should be 2 set points for release. One for long distance and one for the post and contested jumpers. The old school didn’t teach but 1. Over the head a la Larry Bird. Too much work for the shorter guys. Learn em both. Use when needed.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
1. Explain the goal. Why are we trying to accomplish?
2. Demonstrate the technique. Explain how the technique relates to the goal.
3. Let the player do it, and offer corrections.

I always insist that the players do the technique correctly. But, they never mind... They see the connection between the goal and the technique

I always try to have an open mind but it's difficult to let poor technique hamper performance. Here's an example that I have found works to accept change. I am working on skills development with a U14 team . Some of the hitters bat with their back elbow down. I always keep baseball cards in my bucket showing proper hitting load, fielding, and throwing. Then I take a video of what we are working on and compare it to the cards. They can see the difference. I've even showed the difference to parents so they understand why change is needed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I always try to have an open mind but it's difficult to let poor technique hamper performance. Here's an example that I have found works to accept change. I am working on skills development with a U14 team . Some of the hitters bat with their back elbow down. I always keep baseball cards in my bucket showing proper hitting load, fielding, and throwing. Then I take a video of what we are working on and compare it to the cards. They can see the difference. I've even showed the difference to parents so they understand why change is needed.
Elbow up or down would be a long thread in technical hitting forum :)

Me elbow up, but just sayin' ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Explaining the end goal is huge. I’m a big fan of “try it this way and see if it helps”.

And explaining the “why” is often helpful I’ve found.

I’ve been guilty of the “you’re doing it wrong” and have made a conscious effort to stop.
👍
Can you share on the results from the different approaches.
Really like the conscious effort to stop.
Was there a reason you have made this a mental point?
Thnx

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
👍
Can you share on the results from the different approaches.
Really like the conscious effort to stop.
Was there a reason you have made this a mental point?
Thnx

Honestly, it really stems from one-on-one work with DD. As well as watching/listening to how her PC works with her. It's an education process start to finish. He will call out if something wasn't "right". Or if it can be better. As I listen to him I can tell he's using constructive words rather than negative more often than not. When I made the switch at home and mimicked his verbiage there was an immediate positive change in how DD was willing to accept the "coaching". Because (I feel) that's how it came across instead of "criticizing".

One approach that seems to work the best as an all around is approaching the correction as an educational experience. The more I explain the what/why/when/how the more willing my players are to accept the adjustment. I don't expect them to trust me simply because I'm coach.

I try to use phrases like "Do you see how the ball is spinning this way instead of this way?" or "Do you know why the ball keeps sailing high/over your target?" or "Do you know why you feel weak in that motion?". Even for in game situations "Why did you throw to X player instead of X?" or "Why did you hesitate in that situation?" etc etc. But in a tone that gets them to sit and think about it for a second. I want to start a 2-way conversation. When they answer "no" or "I don't know" then we work through the educating process. I'll explain why the bad result is happening and then coach through the adjustment to get towards the desired result. It's not uncommon if I end a conversation with "Does that make sense? And it's okay to say no....". I don't want one of our players to think they have to say yes otherwise we think they're dumb.

Sometimes the adjustment is quick and the result immediate. "Great job!". Sometimes it's a big enough adjustment that it takes a few attempts or even sent home as homework. Which, if that's the case, then when the positive result is achieved I try to over congratulate them.

Some of the girls haven't had "skills" coaching. And remembering that is key. While most of the girls are good/solid players....they're still not realizing what they're doing wrong sometimes and have a lot of upside if/when it gets corrected. So, to me, it's more important to present the correction this way rather than simply pointing out it's "wrong". I continually try to keep in mind "They don't know what they don't know". If I can help them correct a flaw, but also leave them more educated for in-game adjustments and down the road, then I've done my job as a coach.

Sorry - long answer for a short question.

Nov 18, 2015
If I could get coaches to stop saying "you gotta' _______...", I'd almost be OK with "you're doing it wrong".

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If I could get coaches to stop saying "you gotta' _______...", I'd almost be OK with "you're doing it wrong".

I will toot my own horn and say I have not been guilty of the "You gotta _____ " towards any of our players. That one drives me nuts.

There's such a fine line of helping versus pointing out a mistake. Typically I won't approach a player until I've seen her make the mistake or show wrong mechanics 2 or 3 times in a row.

Practice it's a longer conversation. In game it's a very short conversation if at all depending on the situation.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Suggesting book reading.... The Talent Code
Very interesting how teachers or coaches can get the most talent out of a student. Not all the same style either. More than one way to effectively coach. Kinda like hitting. LOL Its about growing myelin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom