Please review pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
In the first 2 clips it appears this pitcher is doing the classic jump off the block, replant and push from the new point of impetus more than a foot in front of the block. While this IS definitely a way to get more velocity, it isn't technically legal. That said, Cat doesn't get called for it, and this pitcher's isn't blatant by any means.

What is odd is that in the side view this looks like an entirely different pitcher/style. I don't see the crow hop in the side view, but I still don't see any initial explosion from the legs. Usually when a pitcher leans back as she does when the hands come together it is for the purpose of gaining momentum. This girl leans back pretty far but then rather nonchalantly pushes off. She definitely doesn't get every available mph out of her legs.

Also, I think she stays upright almost to a fault. Not that staying tall is a bad thing, but she throws as if someone had ahold of her ponytail from behind too often. Very tall but gun shy about leg drive.

Take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm a student, not a teacher. So, whatdoIknow, but my focus would be the lower half.
Good luck,
VW

May 9, 2008
Also, I think she stays upright almost to a fault. Not that staying tall is a bad thing, but she throws as if someone had ahold of her ponytail from behind too often. Very tall but gun shy about leg drive.

Thanks for the comments.

She has always had a problem of being nose over toes and I believe the tallness you are seeing is her attempt to not be nose over toes at release.

Even with the attempt at staying tall she walks out of every pitch, and I am not able to identify what is causing her to continue moving forward or if she is loosing speed because of that action.

She has been all over the place for a while with the stride, last summer she suffered an injury to her stride leg hip flexor or something in that region. Anyway, since recovering we have been working on a more aggressive leg drive. She used to have a Bill Hillhouse style, toes over leg to leg stride but even with that she would walk out of the pitch. She has recently picked up that "mule kick" finish....not sure where it came from.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am watching A set of DVDs right now by Sue Enquist. They are really good. She has her pitchers form the #4, on release of the ball, which is slightly different than a mule kick, (that throws you off balance.)

The thing that I saw in you first clip, was the shoulder shrug on release of the ball. This is also a common mistake. She needs lots of work on a free and easy arm circle.

Also, her glove is flying open off of the power line. She is not coming to a strong "power K."

I would work the basics with her, a lot. Walk throughs, triple arm circles, and power K's might help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K