Playing with 7

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I try not to be a softball snob but have kind of become one. The level of play is just really low. I certainly want the rec league to continue and prosper. Spring should have more girls -- in fall many do cheer or lacrosse.

With Anna off as a college freshman I planned ahead..........contacted the director of our city rec league and he promised me a 12U team for the Fall. After years of travel, I'm done with that! So I stayed in contact with the director and everything is still a go......except there's no girls, as in none!! Of the 3 surrounding towns that are in this league, they fielded three 10U teams......3......that's it! one 10U team for each town!

Back when Anna was 10 and played church and rec ball you had better get your team signed up early because they would have to cut it off because of so many teams!

This director told me Fall volleyball was killing softball and that today's powder puff kids didn't want to be outside or get dirty anymore! And he blamed it on this new generation of parents......I have to agree with him!

I was pretty disappointed, I was looking forward to it all Summer long!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
My older daughter is playing volleyball and rec softball. The two go together pretty well for us, fortunately.

I'd love to coach rec when I'm older. Hope it's still around.

May 29, 2015
Yes, the travel teams steal the good rec players and the level of play is pretty lousy. But girls (and their parents) want the games, the competition, the trophies. So we play.

I try not to be a softball snob but have kind of become one. The level of play is just really low. I certainly want the rec league to continue and prosper. Spring should have more girls -- in fall many do cheer or lacrosse.

That is a mindset that has taken its toll on community-based programs ... and I was guilty of it for a long time. ”Rec” and “travel” can co-exist, even with the same players. One of the main problems is coaches who think they should be playing travel ball when their abilities and their team’s abilities are really rec-level. Another significant issue is travel orgs who believe you are competitive as long as your checkbook works.

Back when I ran our rec program it took me too long to figure that out. I spent most of my years thinking it was a zero-sum game and we had to compete. I finally realized there was a way to co-exist and had a plan and was working towards it ... then I (and multiple other program directors) got tired of fighting against the people in our own organizations.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
If we had to forfeit I wouldn’t be asking. Why would I ask a question if I knew the answer?

Just asking where you would position 7 players to play a game. That’s all.
Technically, nobody should be able to help you, because games should not be played when a team has only seven players. Nobody should have any experience to give you adequate guidance.

Frankly, I'm surprised your rec league would allow this game to be played, especially if it's a playoff game.

Oct 4, 2018
That is a mindset that has taken its toll on community-based programs ... and I was guilty of it for a long time. ”Rec” and “travel” can co-exist, even with the same players. One of the main problems is coaches who think they should be playing travel ball when their abilities and their team’s abilities are really rec-level. Another significant issue is travel orgs who believe you are competitive as long as your checkbook works.

Back when I ran our rec program it took me too long to figure that out. I spent most of my years thinking it was a zero-sum game and we had to compete. I finally realized there was a way to co-exist and had a plan and was working towards it ... then I (and multiple other program directors) got tired of fighting against the people in our own organizations.

Yes, most definitely.

This Saturday I helped coach our 12U rec league and then watched the 12U Travel Tournament. It was a C- tournament.

There was zero distinction between the skill and talent of the girls. Only difference was the travel girls had nicer uniforms, played more games, and had a much longer drive to get there.

... and yes, our org doesn't let you do both simultaneously.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Technically, nobody should be able to help you, because games should not be played when a team has only seven players. Nobody should have any experience to give you adequate guidance.

Frankly, I'm surprised your rec league would allow this game to be played, especially if it's a playoff game.

If it’s a playoff game and you only have seven it should officially count as a forefeit and THEN you should play the game by borrowing players from the other team - any league that DOESNT play the game isn’t worth being around ... first goal should be to let the girls play, standings and records are secondary - that’s also true for travel regardless of how competitive most think 12u travel should be - I totally disagree with a blanket statement that a game should never be played if you only have seven - forfeit the thing and then borrow players and PLAY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Giving you a like @Mocoso, because I agree with the concept. I do want to shed a little light on this though:

I can’t speak for all orgs or umpires, but in my experience when umpires register with an organization, we pay fees. Part of those fees generally goes to an insurance policy that covers us when we are working their sanctioned games. Playing the game unsanctioned (which it technically would be) means the umpires may be working without any liability insurance.

This is an area on my “things to further my knowledge” checklist, so maybe other umps who are more familiar with this can chime in.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Giving you a like @Mocoso, because I agree with the concept. I do want to shed a little light on this though:

I can’t speak for all orgs or umpires, but in my experience when umpires register with an organization, we pay fees. Part of those fees generally goes to an insurance policy that covers us when we are working their sanctioned games. Playing the game unsanctioned (which it technically would be) means the umpires may be working without any liability insurance.

This is an area on my “things to further my knowledge” checklist, so maybe other umps who are more familiar with this can chime in.

Yes that is the one sticky point I can’t argue - the umpire liability for unsanctioned play albeit I don’t understand what defines sanctioned or unsanctioned - I always wonder if the ump just wants the money and uses that as the excuse but that’s prob an unfair uneducated guess on my part... I would think if the rec league scheduled a game and each team is playing with sufficient players that it would be sanctioned regardless of someone already forfeited or not. Like you said hopefully others more educated can enlighten the liability side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802