Playing with 7

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
If we had to forfeit I wouldn’t be asking. Why would I ask a question if I knew the answer?

Because ... internets. ;)

A non-sports forum that I frequent is notorious for a person asking for life-advice, completely ignoring virtually unanimous suggestions, and then continuing to post about the horrific (or comedic, depends on your point of view) results. It’s awesome.

OR ... because you are a coach who just wants things his way. Sorry, we see that one here all the time ... and you know it! 😇

Personally, I’d play 2 outfielders and pull the third baseman. SS plays a little more to the line and 2B plays more up the middle. Outfielders are left-center and right-center. Then adjust as you see where they are hitting the ball. Of course, a lot of that just depends on the level of play.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If we had to forfeit I wouldn’t be asking. Why would I ask a question if I knew the answer?

Just asking where you would position 7 players to play a game. That’s all.

So house rules are different...gotcha! You have no choice but to play your MI fielders deep to cover RF and LF. OF course, as you can guess, this leaves you vulnerable up the middle since they will be making much deeper throws. AS 4 Girl's Dad said, you're kinda screwed with 7.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Because ... internets. ;)

A non-sports forum that I frequent is notorious for a person asking for life-advice, completely ignoring virtually unanimous suggestions, and then continuing to post about the horrific (or comedic, depends on your point of view) results. It’s awesome.

OR ... because you are a coach who just wants things his way. Sorry, we see that one here all the time ... and you know it! 😇

Personally, I’d play 2 outfielders and pull the third baseman. SS plays a little more to the line and 2B plays more up the middle. Outfielders are left-center and right-center. Then adjust as you see where they are hitting the ball. Of course, a lot of that just depends on the level of play.

12U rec. I'm thinking more likely to hit shallow and he wouldn't want to leave 3rd open for scoring reasons.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
This is rec so no need to overthink this. If your pitching is good play one outfielder (who can run) and shift to oppo each at bat. Tell your infielders to be ready to run and get the ball in. And hopefully those 7 are pretty good hitters so they can hit around 6-7 times. Good luck.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hope your pitcher is really good at working the knees and keeping the ball down.........hitting spots inside and out and playing your infield accordingly. Hard hit lifted balls are going to make for a tough day!

Hopefully Mr. Blue likes the ball down also!

Oct 4, 2018
Play the middles extra deep in the grass. Your kinda screwed w 7.

Yeah, that's exactly what we did.

The league also made us honor the "every kid plays at least one inning in the OF" rule. So we basically had SS and 2B playing on the grass and then charging hard on ground balls. As you can imagine, it didn't work well.

Fortunately due to other rec rules (max runs per inning) we were able to strike out the side once and get all our runs on offense and win the game.

May 6, 2015
Yeah, that's exactly what we did.

The league also made us honor the "every kid plays at least one inning in the OF" rule. So we basically had SS and 2B playing on the grass and then charging hard on ground balls. As you can imagine, it didn't work well.

Fortunately due to other rec rules (max runs per inning) we were able to strike out the side once and get all our runs on offense and win the game.

playoff game with run rules? always hated, this, seemed to be absurd. if the talent level is so diluted that you need run rules in playoff games, then scrap playoffs.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, the travel teams steal the good rec players and the level of play is pretty lousy. But girls (and their parents) want the games, the competition, the trophies. So we play.

I try not to be a softball snob but have kind of become one. The level of play is just really low. I certainly want the rec league to continue and prosper. Spring should have more girls -- in fall many do cheer or lacrosse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478