Playing too much and burn out for 10u ? Any happy medium?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2019
In Oklahoma, depending on where you live and how good you are you may need to travel 2 hours to play in a competitive tournament as for the most part the better tournaments are centralized to within 30 to 45 minutes of the OKC area.
If that be the case, I still wouldn't have them playing every weekend.

Jun 8, 2016
If that be the case, I still wouldn't have them playing every weekend.
Like I said in a previous post with the weather you could get caught in a situation where a bunch of tournaments are rained out. What I would probably do at that age is pack the schedule and if you end up playing a few tournaments in a row you can always back out of the next tournament. While this probably won't allow parents to go on vacation during the season it would give the girls a break.

Jul 1, 2019
Like I said in a previous post with the weather you could get caught in a situation where a bunch of tournaments are rained out. What I would probably do at that age is pack the schedule and if you end up playing a few tournaments in a row you can always back out of the next tournament. While this probably won't allow parents to go on vacation during the season it would give the girls a break.
That would be a viable approach. Indiana gets its share of rain problems, we always just add more if we run into weather early. Spring is our bigger problem.

Jun 24, 2019
The reason sometimes we travel is to play real 10u teams, down here they have a tendency to stay longer in an age division instead of moving up.. which it makes no sense to me

Dec 2, 2019
My daughter plays 8u and we had a big uproar on our team because parents wanted to play more tournaments. The problem with 8u in our area is there are not many teams, so we usually have to travel at least a hour and a half. We are playing every other weekend from the second week of April until the end of July. I for one thought that was more than enough at 8u. Our coach told us how many tournaments we would be playing at tryouts. Sometimes parents and coaches push too hard and it burns out not only the kids, but the entire family from softball. Let kids be kids, softball isn't life.

Jun 8, 2016
That would be a viable approach. Indiana gets its share of rain problems, we always just add more if we run into weather early. Spring is our bigger problem.
As an example DD's coach (1st year 12U) has 12 tournaments scheduled starting from the last week of March through the second week of July with 5 requiring hotel stays (2 in state, 3 out of state..) Over the last 3 years the least amount of tournaments we have had rained out I think is maybe 2 or 3 so it will probably end up working out to about 3 tournaments a month for us.

My only complaint is that one of the in-state and one of the out of state stayovers are unncessary imo as there is a better tournament locally for the out-of-state tournament and the in-state one isn't that great and was recently added to replace a closer one which doesn't appear as if it is going to make. That said the kids seem to really enjoy the stayovers..they act like they never have seen a pool before :LOL: On the otherhand my 1 YO isn't too fond of sleeping in hotel rooms so my enjoyment level isn't quite as high...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
In my opinion that schedule is crazy, not only are you going to burn the girls out, you're going to burn their parents out also. My 11 year old loves to play but we had to pull her back from rec this spring so both she and I didn't get overwhelmed. Practice is an hour each way, we are playing 9 tournaments with in an hour or so of the house. Also have a 6 year old who I coach her team, that needs just as much attention.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I don't really understand why 10U teams are traveling 2+ hours away unless you're in an area where there just aren't any local tournaments at all. Why spend that kind of money at that level? You're not being recruited. We didn't start TB until 12U, so 10U was rec ball with one practice and one or two games per week.

Sep 29, 2014
Doesn't sound too bad just seems like you are stuck being far from some good complexes we had a couple go to complexes that were great and less than an hour away but that because we were next to a big city

Jan 6, 2020
My daughter plays 8u and we had a big uproar on our team because parents wanted to play more tournaments. The problem with 8u in our area is there are not many teams, so we usually have to travel at least a hour and a half. We are playing every other weekend from the second week of April until the end of July. I for one thought that was more than enough at 8u. Our coach told us how many tournaments we would be playing at tryouts. Sometimes parents and coaches push too hard and it burns out not only the kids, but the entire family from softball. Let kids be kids, softball isn't life.
Yes I agree. We as parents need to have some sort of life too! haha. Especially when there are other kids in the family as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom