Playing softball in extreme heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do a search for Chilly Pad. The company is Frogg Togg. I just ordered from Amazon. There was a glitch on the Frogg Togg site and it wanted $20.00 for shipping.

Bought another Frog Tog thing yesterday to send with dd to camp. Just got finished chopping up a watermelon for her to keep in her room's fridge. Sending plenty of Propel, that fruit water and a few orange juice boxes. The camp said they provide plenty of Gatorade, but want to make sure she has water in her room. Had a player last week who got severely dehydrated - muscles tensed and was in agonizing pain. Don't want to see that happen to anyone else's children. Her momma said to be sure the girls eat a hearty breakfast and keep that hydration going. Pedialyte (found in the baby section of any super store), unflavored, mixed half and half with whatever they are drinking, will increase electrolytes. This heat is excrutiating!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Some of you have heard this story. My DD was 12 and playing in the Pony State Championship in Marion, IL. The temp was over 100 and I was concerned about kids playing all day long, but no one listens to me.

We had federal prisoners as our umpires (which by the way, you don't argue with those guys) and 3 of them collapsed in the heat.

Now, that is hot.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Our 6U team played 3 Saturday with a heat index topping out at 103. They handled it very well. We kept the fruit, gatorade and water for them all day. I coach third and the left side on defense so I never hit the dugout. I thought I was going to fall out so it made me even prouder of the girls for sticking through it. The Chilly Pads are a lifesaver.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
SoftSocDad, I wonder about the scheduling myself sometimes. I do not worry about them too much as long as the parents do their part to keep them hydrated and keep good food in them. I look back to when I was a kid and I would spend all day outside in the summer only to come inside to grab some lunch. If we needed a drink we just hit the garden hose and kept running. Kids are tougher than we give them credit for most of the time. We just have to use common sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802