Playing softball in extreme heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I hope I'm not boring everyone with my reports this weekend. We came in 3rd today. So, we played 26 games in 14 days. Tomorrow, we are off! The temperatures fell last night after a front came through bringing thunderstorms. So, the dust was settled on the diamonds, there was a breeze and the high was 88. It was like playing in the Spring. This week is supposed to be in the upper 80s. That will be so nice! We have 3 double headers this week (we play in 2 different double header leagues) and then, we are taking the 4th of July off. While I know there are so many tournaments out there, it will be nice to just have a family weekend. Thus ends the saga of my reporting on heat. Applause Please!

Jun 6, 2009
CB

Glad to hear its cooling off where you are. Send some cool weather my way. This 100+ degree weather is getting old.

Nov 8, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Buy Amonia Spirits at the pharmacy about 1 qt for 1 cooler. Mix it up with water first, then drop 1 towel in for each kid and coach. Ring it out befor you wipe your self off with it. It makes you feel cool when any breeze hit you, even after you are dry. Make sure your drink water going into the game day. The day of is too late.

I always freeze wet wash cloths and gatorade the night before a tourney and pack them at the last minute in the cooler. By the time she is wanting the gatorades, they are nice and slushy. After each inning, the rags go back in the cooler. We always take a huge fan (commercial grade) to tourneys for the dugout.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Pretzels are also good to eat. They help replenish electrolytes in the system.

One word of caution from experience. Don't let them drink all sports drinks. Mix water with sports drinks. I've seen too many kids get sick to their stomach when they don't drink plain water too. By the way, start increasing water intake now. Don't wait until the weekend. It makes a difference.

Jun 10, 2010
All my 10u ball girls have frogtogs with there names on them. we have a small cooler with ice water in it just for them . We also purchased a Honda 1000 generator and run a large shop fan in the dug out. we also have a large igloo water cooler. The first thing I tell them after a game is to go get under the tents and sit down socks and shoes off. We played 5 games today with a heat index of 107. The was just as strong the last game at 8:00 as they was the first at 10:30. I have all the parents make them start hydrating 3 days before the tourney. Making sure the drink at least 3 quarts of water per day. i also make sure when we eat that they eat alot of Carbs to keep there energy level up.

Mar 13, 2010
One thing that I have, which is a GODSEND is a water spray bottle that has a little fan in front of it. Its heaven when you come off the field and can spray yourself with it.

Its why I love my shorts so much, just having my knees free can do a lot to help keep me cool. Of course I must remember to put sunscreen on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812