Playing on a top level team not local to you ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2019
Alot of good info. DD has played 10U for 3 yrs. She has alot of fun and I am always curious how these high level teams construct their teams and how they practice/ ???? to stay competitive.
Yall know..........us 10u parents are ready for our DD to start showcase tournaments TODAY!!!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Alot of good info. DD has played 10U for 3 yrs. She has alot of fun and I am always curious how these high level teams construct their teams and how they practice/ ???? to stay competitive.

Stay competitive by
- Having and hoarding all the talent. Talent goes a LONG way to winning (especially pitching, speed, and power-hitting)
- A massively motivated & talented athlete and/or insane parent(s) driving their kid (sometimes both).

If you do it, make sure you really have a motivated and talented kid. Too often I have seen kids ending up resenting (hating) their parents for making them do it - long-term ruined relationships. I know girls who have been on these teams that to this day, I have NO IDEA whether they actually like softball or not. So many who quit before getting on a college field (because they never were allowed to choose before)

If you hear the words "She just loves it" from a parent, that is normally not true. They just don't want to disappoint their parents - especially in the younger age groups.

Yall know..........us 10u parents are ready for our DD to start showcase tournaments TODAY!!!

Don't be. It comes and goes too quickly. Enjoy the season in front of you. You never know when it is going to end and she doesn't want to play anymore - or can't play anymore. All those kids on that 10U team you are on now- most likely won't play high school softball or be playing in 14U travel. They will quit this sport for something else. Goals change. Interests change. All good.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
If you do it, make sure you really have a motivated and talented kid. Too often I have seen kids ending up resenting (hating) their parents for making them do it - long-term ruined relationships. I know girls who have been on these teams that to this day, I have NO IDEA whether they actually like softball or not. So many who quit before getting on a college field (because they never were allowed to choose before)

If you hear the words "She just loves it" from a parent, that is normally not true. They just don't want to disappoint their parents - especially in the younger age groups.

Good thoughts. My DD played on two teams full of D-I commits. She might be the only one who didn't play in college, although several more quit their college teams after 1-2 years. And other are still going.

It's not always a bad ending, though. My DD still loves me. I wasn't insane. Ultimately, she was playing for others - whether that be me, her hitting coach, the college coach that she committed to, or just playing to maintain her identity as a good softball player until she outgrew the need for that.

But it's not typically a black/white situation where kid hates softball, parents are blind and nuts, but she plays anyway to please. It's usually a mixture. Mine liked softball, just didn't love it. I was partly relieved when she didn't play in college because I began to realize her passion level wasn't high enough to make college softball a good experience for the level of talent she had and the level of team that wanted her.

As for those parents who say ''She loves it,'' sometimes it's apparent to all that they don't love it. Other times, it's harder to discern. Many kids like it, and also have the personality that causes them to work hard, hustle, etc. That was mine. She really liked practicing, especially me and her doing front toss, always played hard. But the things I didn't see - It didn't bother her if she didn't have a good tournament, didn't make her lose sleep and want to figure out how to get better.

Looking back, if I were a college coach, I wouldn't hold it much against a talented prospect who threw her helmet or moped after she made an out. Not saying you want that behavior, but you want that passion and competitiveness. I can fix one, but not the other.

Sorry for rant., but thanks for triggering it. :)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My DD is going to be first year 12u this fall and into next spring. My question is for those that have joined top level national teams that are not local to you,

How did you realize it was time to tryout for one?
How do attending practices work if your several hrs away from this team?
How old was your DD when you made this commitment?
Just move to SoCal, there are thousands of "top level national 12U teams". Just ask them. LOL

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
No need to get on the top team. Get on a team that routinely plays the top teams. Look at the Alliance Fastpitch standings in your area and look at the 7-12 place teams.

May 29, 2019
You really need to ask yourself what the ultimate goal is first. Think about what you would be getting yourself into. Thousands of miles logged on the car odometer. Thousands of miles logged in the air. Thousands of dollars of team fees. Thousands of dollars in fuel, hotels, etc. Thousands of hours of time spent, often wasted... All of this at 12U? Have fun at 12U, then evaluate where you need to be in 14U to meet your goals. Once you get on a "Super Duper High-Level National Travel Team", where they beat into your head that if you don't play Power 5 you are garbage, then the level of "fun" goes down dramatically. It becomes a stressful job to the girls.

If her ultimate goal is to play for Gasso or Murphy, then this is the route that you will be taking. If the goal is just to "play in college", then hell no. :eek:

Jun 8, 2016
14’s would be when I would consider playing for a team more than a few hours away if that is what you need to do to find a team that meets your DD’s goals.

Apr 4, 2019
We are not considering this at 12u by no means. We are happy with her team. I ha e just been pondering these questions latley and just curious. As alot have said you will know when the time comes.
I am noy 1 bit ashamed to say I want to see my DD play at UofF one day. I also am very aware she is 10 and although now she says she wants to play there, I think every 10yo wants to play at their favorite WCWS team.
We have no idea if the opportunity to at these high levels will ever come to fruition. I kinda had 14u in my mind which seeems to be about right reading the responses. I am just curious, as yall say 14u will be here i the blink of an eye. I have to agree our son is a junior is HS and it seems like yesterday he was her age.

Nov 18, 2013
No need to get on the top team. Get on a team that routinely plays the top teams. Look at the Alliance Fastpitch standings in your area and look at the 7-12 place teams.

There’s a lot to be said for that. DD was first “noticed” at ASA nationals by coaches already following teams we faced.

Nov 18, 2013
My DD is going to be first year 12u this fall and into next spring. My question is for those that have joined top level national teams that are not local to you,

How did you realize it was time to tryout for one?
How do attending practices work if your several hrs away from this team?
How old was your DD when you made this commitment?

DD was invited to join the EC Bullets from the Atlanta area at 18U. They needed pitching depth after Barnhill went to the US team. I didn’t know much about her at the time and never heard of the Bullets. TBH I thought it was a scam at first.

She practiced and trained with her former club here in MN and flew out to meet the team at tourney’s. 16U or 18U seems a good time for it if they get the chance. Not much point to it before that. If you’re asked by one, others will invite her too so don’t feel pressured or think it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. For now let her have fun and encourage her to keep working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812