Playing on a bad team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
My DD’s 10-U club team this fall was really bad. The team is young, with only 4 girls 2nd years (including my DD), and there are 2-3 girls clearly over their heads.

Despite the team being bad, my daughter has blossomed this fall. She went from being a #3 pitcher on her old team in the summer to a #1 pitcher, and almost overnight she began to pitch mechanically better, throw harder, and become more accurate in games. She’s gotten a lot of mound time, and has learned to do the little things: fix a messed up mound, direct the defense on a bunt, ask for a new ball if one is wet. Despite the team results, she’s pitched well, including giving up only 2 earned runs vs the best team in the state.

Her hitting still needs work, but has gotten to the point where she is hitting middle of the road pitching well and has started hitting clean-up.

The team has played a lot of games including against many of the best teams in the state and region.

My wife is frustrated with the terrible defense, lack of hitting, and losing. She thinks we’re paying a lot of money for this level of play.
I see a very young team that is making some strides that should get bigger and hopefully better this winter.

The team has two pitchers that are good enough for them to be competitive if the defense and hitting get better over the winter.
The team is 2–18, but has had some close games against some good teams. Starting the #4 pitcher, only to bring my DD into the game in the 1st inning after a bunch of runs were scored and then have her pitch the rest of the game likely cost them 2 wins or ties.

So at 10-U is the winning and losing that important? Is it worth staying on a bad team if the competition is good and your DD is improving and excelling? At this age, is it better to have your DD getting #1 mound time In a lot of games vs good competition or being a #2 behind a coach’s daughter somewhere else on a better team that plays less games. Should the improvement curve for 9 year olds coming from coach pitch be greater than 10 year olds over the winter?

My biggest worry would be if the #2 pitcher (who is also one of the better hitters) leaves, as then I think the burden would be just too heavy.

Sir, it is 10U softball, it is about learning about life lessons, being a team mate and team player, and learning how to play the game. Win and loses mean nothing at this point. Stats mean nothing. You and your wife need to let her be a 10 year old. Just like your daughter did, the others one will hit their stride, and will get better.

Reactions: PDM

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
My DD’s 10-U club team this fall was really bad. The team is young, with only 4 girls 2nd years (including my DD), and there are 2-3 girls clearly over their heads.

Despite the team being bad, my daughter has blossomed this fall. She went from being a #3 pitcher on her old team in the summer to a #1 pitcher, and almost overnight she began to pitch mechanically better, throw harder, and become more accurate in games. She’s gotten a lot of mound time, and has learned to do the little things: fix a messed up mound, direct the defense on a bunt, ask for a new ball if one is wet. Despite the team results, she’s pitched well, including giving up only 2 earned runs vs the best team in the state.

Her hitting still needs work, but has gotten to the point where she is hitting middle of the road pitching well and has started hitting clean-up.

The team has played a lot of games including against many of the best teams in the state and region.

My wife is frustrated with the terrible defense, lack of hitting, and losing. She thinks we’re paying a lot of money for this level of play.
I see a very young team that is making some strides that should get bigger and hopefully better this winter.

The team has two pitchers that are good enough for them to be competitive if the defense and hitting get better over the winter.
The team is 2–18, but has had some close games against some good teams. Starting the #4 pitcher, only to bring my DD into the game in the 1st inning after a bunch of runs were scored and then have her pitch the rest of the game likely cost them 2 wins or ties.

So at 10-U is the winning and losing that important? Is it worth staying on a bad team if the competition is good and your DD is improving and excelling? At this age, is it better to have your DD getting #1 mound time In a lot of games vs good competition or being a #2 behind a coach’s daughter somewhere else on a better team that plays less games. Should the improvement curve for 9 year olds coming from coach pitch be greater than 10 year olds over the winter?

My biggest worry would be if the #2 pitcher (who is also one of the better hitters) leaves, as then I think the burden would be just too heavy.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ

You lost me when you said that you are paying a lot of money to play on a 10u team. Let your daughter be a kid and play with her friends and don't worry about whether they win or lose or whether the rest of the team is taking the game seriously. Make sure she has good instruction and just let her play.

Nov 22, 2019
You lost me when you said that you are paying a lot of money to play on a 10u team. Let your daughter be a kid and play with her friends and don't worry about whether they win or lose or whether the rest of the team is taking the game seriously. Make sure she has good instruction and just let her play.

When it's club and not town travel, I would hope regardless of age, that the players and parents should take playing and practice somewhat seriously. I do think that is what my wife is most concerned about, the commitment of the players to get better and not the actual wins and losses. The question for her is, is it fair to my DD if she not only goes to the two practices, but pitches afterwards, goes to pitching lessons, and then also works on pitching another day, if the other girls can't catch a simple infield pop-up. I really only care what my DD is doing to get better, but I can see her point.

We have no town travel in our town, so these aren't her classmates. These girls come from all over. Club teams tend to charge about 2-6x the amount town travel teams do, as they play more tournaments and have to rent indoor facilities (while some towns have their own small facilities).

By 1st year 12-U, I know the club teams will churn the bottom of their rosters from fall to spring, and I think a few 10-U teams do that as well (they certainly do in baseball around here, as we know someone who that happened to). We went to one tryout for a 10-U team last winter and a few girls on that team had to tryout again, as they were already wearing team shirts and in team photos on their website.

Oct 4, 2018
Every girl is different and every journey is different.

My DD did all of 10U on the team of her choice, the team with her friends. They were average.

About three girls on the team worked outside of team practices and games. By the end of 10U, it showed. So we moved to a new team with all girls who work hard outside of team practice. It makes the games and practices more fun for my DD. It's now about the game more, and less about the girls. I think that comes with a love of the game and with maturity.

I do think it's good for girls to spend a bit of time as the big fish in the small pond. Get a taste of success and of being awesome.

Mar 10, 2020

Didnt read entire thread.
This may already been mentioned.
Have been thru 10u 3 times.
If you stay in softball by high school you will look back to realize how much this team did your dd the most good.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802