Playing all players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Parents suck, and yes, if DD doesn't play you'll hear about it.

Even as a coach who dealt with crappy parents, now that I'm not coaching and am a parent I have to hold myself back sometimes. I completely understand where parents are coming from, even though it's lousy and they have no idea what they're talking about in most cases.

I sit on the bench with the other parents and hear them criticize every single move the coaches make. Every position, every call, every single item. And then I think "they were doing this last year when I was coaching. What jerks."

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I am sorry your area has terrible tournament directors; but this comment is frankly just 100% wrong.
Why is it 100% wrong? It is 100% true. In our area the girls grow up playing 65 to 75 minute games. When they get to high school, and have to play a full 7 inning games, and pitcher run out of gas before the game end.....and part of your comment is 100% correct, we have terrible tournament directors.

May 6, 2015
Why is it 100% wrong? It is 100% true. In our area the girls grow up playing 65 to 75 minute games. When they get to high school, and have to play a full 7 inning games, and pitcher run out of gas before the game end.....and part of your comment is 100% correct, we have terrible tournament directors.
but keep i mind, in tournament play, they individual games may be shortened, but the pitchers and everyone else probably ends up playing more than one complete game per day. they should not run out of gas in HS (maybe more breaks in tournaments, but this just means coaches must keep on players to hydrate and eat possibly in dugout).

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Disagree......game one #1 pitcher is the pitcher, game 2, number 2 pitches. Game 3 on same day, both pitchers pitch, total pitching time is maybe 7 or 8 innings with a break in there. HIgh School games are 7 innings, no break. So they run out of gas. See it every year.
the TD that shorten the games are not helping the player in any way.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Disagree......game one #1 pitcher is the pitcher, game 2, number 2 pitches. Game 3 on same day, both pitchers pitch, total pitching time is maybe 7 or 8 innings with a break in there. HIgh School games are 7 innings, no break. So they run out of gas. See it every year.

They are running out of gas because they are not conditioning on their own. Period

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

To be honest, I never viewed this as an issue, and my daughter is a pitcher. By the time she was in 14u she was focusing on stamina. Pitching 7 innings was never an issue. If someone is not preparing themselves for the differences between tournament ball and high school ball, that is their own fault.

That said, the biggest issue I have with tournament ball in respects to preparing girls for college sports is how showcases typically work. In most cases the focus is on showcasing the players talent, which is fine. But there is very little emphasis on winning the game. I think that limits a college coach's ability to fully evaluate the players. The format of showcases eliminates some of the adversity and anxiety that occurs in competitive sports.

Jun 7, 2019
I'm a few weeks late to this thread, but I always used two things to deal with playing time for players 10 thru 12.

1) Every family knew from day 1 that every player would play at least 2 games on Sat. (with State Championships a possible exception). And that didn't mean being subbed in and out. Full games. Yes, pinch running is better than sitting the bench, but not by much. Knowing you'll play 2 full games every Sat. keeps the kids and the families engaged.

2) I always said that for every player on my roster in excess of 12, there was at least one set of eyeballs burning lasers in the back of my skull when their kids weren't playing. Avoid the laser burns - keep your roster to 12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802