Playing all players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
The Gold/Silver bracket tournaments can be great if the tournament director does a little recon and matches the teams up wisely. It allows the lower half to play more games and have a shot to win something. The middle of the pack teams probably benefit the most from it. The best will win anyway, and the worst will lose anyway.

Agreed.

We were in a tournament this weekend that had Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper. Giving 4 teams a chance to win.

Only problem was the initial pool games weren't set up well and we played three creampuffs just to be rewarded with getting clobbered in the Gold Bracket. We were probably the 4th worst team there (and were predicting a Copper Championship). :)

Jun 12, 2015
Agreed.

We were in a tournament this weekend that had Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper. Giving 4 teams a chance to win.

Only problem was the initial pool games weren't set up well and we played three creampuffs just to be rewarded with getting clobbered in the Gold Bracket. We were probably the 4th worst team there (and were predicting a Copper Championship). :)
We played up in a 14U in the spring with gold and silver. The pool game was hilarious. We ended up going against one of the weaker 05 teams there (we're 06). The parents and coaches on both sides were so chill. Bad call? Eh, it happens. We both were hoping for a silver seed yet neither team was actively throwing the game. Just really, really unconcerned with winning it. It was one of the most pleasant games I remember them playing this spring. We ended up barely winning, being 2 and done in the gold bracket. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012
get everyone used to sitting now because come College the rosters are going to be bigger than any team they’ve ever played on and the chances of someone older and proven to the coach playing your position is pretty great.
The amount of kids who expect to get to a team and play every inning of every game as a freshman is astounding. And makes for some miserable kids when they realize that it might take a year or two before they get any significant playing time.

May 6, 2015
we were talking 12u, where development is key. at that level, for all but maybe 5%, no idea who is going to even be able to play in college. preparing them for college is more for 16u/18u

and that is also why you play everyone and SIT everyone. everyone should know how to handle not playing in a game.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I am sorry your area has terrible tournament directors; but this comment is frankly just 100% wrong.
I agree that the tournament director in my area are horrible. But not sure why my comment is wrong. 75 minute games are a joke, and if you promote them, you are just as bad as the TD.

Aug 25, 2019
I agree that the tournament director in my area are horrible. But not sure why my comment is wrong. 75 minute games are a joke, and if you promote them, you are just as bad as the TD.
Have you been to a tournament that allows full 7 inning, 2 hour plus games?.......I can only imagine a scheduling nightmare for that, plus everyone (players, parents, umpires, etc) would get real tired real fast of sitting at a field for 7-10 hours on a Saturday. 80 to 90 minute game are perfect for pool play. And where we play, every championship game is no time limit.

Jun 12, 2015
Have you been to a tournament that allows full 7 inning, 2 hour plus games?.......I can only imagine a scheduling nightmare for that, plus everyone (players, parents, umpires, etc) would get real tired real fast of sitting at a field for 7-10 hours on a Saturday. 80 to 90 minute game are perfect for pool play. And where we play, every championship game is no time limit.

I like the set up where the 'ship is not limited. In the ones DD's played in they usually are, same rules as all the other bracket games.

I don't love timed games but I can't imagine 10 and 12 year olds playing 2 hour games all day. While the game wasn't meant to be timed, neither was it created to be played 6-8 games in a weekend. To do that, you have to compromise somewhere. 75 pool/90 bracket is a decent set up IMO.

May 6, 2015
75 or 80 minutes no new inning is generally norm for us. this works out, most games end up being between 80 and 90 minutes, and we normally get 4 -6 innings in.

May 6, 2015
you have to play to get better...pool games get you that experience and hopefully confidence to carry on as a team into bracket play....all players should have hit at least 1-2 times , played defense 1-2 inn., get pitchers some work in as well, not just your stud
actually, it is OK if some players do not get into a particular game (although if you can bat roster, do it). maybe the play one complete game, half a game, and sit a game in pool. I think this helps more from a consistency standpoint than an inning or two in every game.

Jul 14, 2018
While I appreciate that timed games are necessary when you're running a tournament, it is valuable to play a full seven every once in a while, especially to prepare for school ball where they typically play a full game.

This goes to marriard's point, that finding scrimmages against comparable teams should absolutely be a part of any travel team's itinerary. If you're just paying for an umpire and maybe field time, there's no rush to get through four innings. You can just play the game, and get everyone in, without worrying about the trophy hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28