Playing 10u and 12u teams at the same time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
For having some fun I would say yes, and if she plays 10U travel at a decent level she should be fine at 12U LL. My DD played travel and was on a 12U LL team at a very young age because they were short on pitchers. The LL season games are mostly on a week night so it is nice to have one game on a cool evening and not sweat in the sun for 8 hours on a Sunday. If your local LL is good there is also the opportunity to play in state and regionals covered on ESPN. Let the coaches know her schedule to avoid pitching multiple days in a row, but she will have the opportunity to pitch in more live games. She may throw a little high when switching to the smaller ball but it helps her learn to adjust and 10U travel is not the WCWS so have fun.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Going to an older rec team from travel would be a lateral move at best. If she’s not on a reegional/national caliber 10U team consider that route instead. 12U rec might be older, but they lack the commitment and dedication to push her. Once she’s on a highly competitive team of her own age she won’t even consider playing rec.

Oct 4, 2018
I think the answer is mostly "listen to and observe your daughter".

If she's having fun, you've pretty much won the game.

We've probably all seen (I have multiple times) girls get stressed out and quit the game. They were put on intense teams pretty young and simply don't want to play anymore. We all think our young DDs will go on to play college and get scholarships, and some do. Probably being active here at DFP increases those odds.

But my thought is that 12U and under "having fun" should be pretty high on the list of objectives. They still have so many years where softball can be intense and at the highest level. If they're having fun being on a competitive team playing other competitive teams, you're in a really good place.

Oct 23, 2019
Thanks all for your input, I think she's going to go with 12u as far as the local team. For one thing, DD is pretty adamant about wanting to go there in the first place. I think it will have more potential for fun and for her to get something out of it. As a bonus, she seems to know a few girls aging up to 12u anyways. I'm kind of hoping she doesn't pitch, but I guess we'll see first if she gets in and what the coach does with her.

Jun 11, 2020
Thanks all for your input, I think she's going to go with 12u as far as the local team. For one thing, DD is pretty adamant about wanting to go there in the first place. I think it will have more potential for fun and for her to get something out of it. As a bonus, she seems to know a few girls aging up to 12u anyways. I'm kind of hoping she doesn't pitch, but I guess we'll see first if she gets in and what the coach does with her.
Have her pitch at 12u in local league. Game reps are so valuable even if she throws all changeups. Work on location and other things. This way, when she moves to 40' for travel, it will be a minor adjustment for her. Very easy to go back to 35' for 10u travel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802