Players are hitting fine, but their mechanics aren't right.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have a number of girls on my winter team that I have found have a couple problems, even though they are hitting fine.

From the waist down they are ok, but when they swing, they are keeping their shoulders level thru the swing, the rear elbow may be too separated from the ribs and the lead elbow is too low. as far as I can tell (no video yet), there is no bat drag or if there is any it is very slight. even though the lower body appears correct (weight shift and turn) they are still mostly swinging with their arms. maybe casting too. The result is that they are not generating their maximum power at contact, even though they still tattoo the ball .

I'm thinking of having them hit a golf ball (with a golf club) and learn how to do that, then progress to a softball off a low tee and gradually go higher.

I'm asking for recommendations for drills from any of you that you think could help correct this.

also, that throwing-the-bat drill looks good- are they "swinging for the fences" when they do this?

thanks!

Last edited:
R

RayR

Get them to swing for the fences! At first - they will not want to. Encourage them to use their legs and wind up and throw. You can also have try throwing lite weight medicine balls as high and as far as they can using a two handed underhand throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812