Player pouts with instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
On my 10U team - the oldest player is my biggest whiner. She will pout after almost any instruction. Once she gets in that mood she won't even try.

The biggest issue is she is my # 2 pitcher so I have to be careful with putting her in or out.

When she pulls this do I pull her out, sit her? I have to admit I am a bit hesitant because she is my # 2 (close to #1) pitcher.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Pull her out and sit her down.

Softball isn't just about winning games it's about teaching kids how to be a part of something bigger than themselves. It's about being a good teammate.

Tell her when she is able to get herself out of her funk she can play.

May 13, 2008
If you aren't willing to sit your "star" players when necessary then you'll have a hard time developing a team first attitude. You should always explain why you sat them as soon as possible so they can correct the problem.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amen. Pine applied liberally to the rear end of good players works wonders. Make sure she knows exactly why she is being pulled.

I would agree. Once you bench any child not only do they realize that they are replacable. The parents understand that also and most parents will let their DD know exactly what they think about it.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Definately have her ride pine until she "gets it". Just make sure she knows why she is sitting.

We don't so much have pouters as we do some with attitudes (12U). Our coach has graciously told them there is a lot he will tolerate but smacky mouths are not one of them and they immediately go to the bench. It doesn't take long from riding the pine before they get it figured out, if they truly want to play - star player or not. Sacrificing a game to teach a child a life lesson is worth it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Former UCLA player speaking at a clinic my dd attended related a story about Sue Enquist and her days at UCLA. The player said that a player with a very selfish attitude had showed signs early on that she was a trouble. Coach Enquist talked to the team about team goals and what could detract from team. The entire speech never mentioned one player by name BUT everyone knew who it was about. Then, apparently, Coach Enquist continued that speech every time this player showed those tendencies and mentioned that UCLA had a standard that no one would damage and that some players with talent will never see the field because they were a threat to the reputation of UCLA. Of course, she also spoke to this player in private though no one knows what was said. My dd mentioned that she knew that I did the same. You bet and every time those tendencies showed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802