Player not in defensive lineup enters field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
First time I've ever seen this I think. After an out is made in a high school playoff game a player from the bench of the defensive team runs onto the field and briefly talks to the pitcher (while the infield did their little after strikeout powwow in the circle) then runs off. I umpired baseball years ago and my recollection is that at that time if a player not in the defensive lineup entered the field of play during the inning they were to be ejected. Is there any rule in softball that addresses this situation?
If it matters, no timeout was called.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Having not witnessed that personally, I can imagine it perhaps as a masquerade to save a coach's mound visit.

With time not called in the field of play, there's probably an umpire issued warning at minimum and/or charged visit. Whether that 10th or 11th (flex) uniformed player was listed on the line-up card or not is likely irrelevant relating to any furthur penalty exceeding that. As it was a playoff game, I'm very surprised it went site-unseen considering there's likely three sets of eyes on the game.

Chris

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I'm sure the coach was doing it to not be charged a conference and circumvent the rules. I forget which rule set has the case play, but there is one play I know of where the catcher runs over to the dugout without calling time and talks to the coach through the fence, that is to be considered a charged conference. I'm pretty sure I have seen another somewhere where the coach sent a player out to deliver a message and that also was to be considered a charged conference.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has helped a pitcher more then coach sometimes and would rather her go to circle then coach.

If time is called I would not think it would matter if player or coach ran on field.

At a minimum it should be a charged conference.

I am not sure what pentaly is for coach walking to circle without calling timeout first? I would think pentaly would be same for player or coach?

Jun 22, 2008
While not an NFHS ruling, USA rule supplement 9 does discuss charged conferences and what should constitute one. Time does not have to be called, if the game is delayed at all to relay a message that is a charged conference. And, it doesn't have to be a coach it says coach or a representative of the team. It further states if a defensive player approaches the dugout and receives instructions that would be a charged conference.

The rules also state only 9 defensive players are allowed on the field, while not supported by written rule in the NFHS book as I stated previously in my opinion the coach is circumventing the rules to try and not be charged a conference and I would label sending out a player to relay a message as a conference.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I umpired baseball years ago and my recollection is that at that time if a player not in the defensive lineup entered the field of play during the inning they were to be ejected.

This sounds like an anti brawl rule were both dugouts clear and push each other for 20 minutes, not sure it is that black and white but might be.

Jul 22, 2015
[MENTION=426]Comp[/MENTION] I felt like the coach was clearly avoiding a charged visit to a struggling pitcher (we'd just had a rally) in order to "save" his other visit just as you stated. The umpires were definetly aware because myself and our coaches alerted them and they spoke to the player. I was just curious if there is any consequence specified for a 10th player entering the field. Didn't change an outcome but it was something I'd never seen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802