Player leaving

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
After coaching for several years and also making moves to new teams with dd along the way, the one thing I’ve learned is that it’s rarely ever personal against the team/coach they are leaving. In our case for leaving, the first time it was because dd’s goal of wanting to play In college finally became a reality and she needed to play for a team that played at the next level so she could challenge herself to get better. The second time it was because the team she played with had graduated 9 seniors, leaving only 4 players left (dd was only going to be a sophomore). Very difficult to rebuild after that and each player wound up finding a new team, 2 of those players getting recruited to D1 schools and the other one now plays for the D3 she wanted to go to for academic reasons.

Both times the coaches wished us well, and seemed to understand. Both will still always talk to dd and myself when they see us, and we truly appreciate all they’ve done for her and their support, even after we had moved on.

May 9, 2019
I get where you are coming from, but isn't this really all a part of travel ball?

At the end, the player needs to do what is best for her. Sure it sucks that you invested so much time, etc.. but I think this is something that all coaches need to be prepared for.

Jul 27, 2015
Sounds like a terrible situation. And knowing she is leaving for a worse situation has to make it tougher.

So perhaps not in your situation and probably not a popular opinion, but I think switching teams a few times is not such a bad thing. This fall we started on a new team after 4 years on our previous team. The fall was a fantastic season of growth for my daughter which would not have happened on her old team. My daughter moved up in competition but also got better in just about every stat that matters.

My opinion on why moving around occasionally (maybe once every 3 years) is a good thing

1) If you play for the same team for x number of years, you will likely get pigeon-holed by the coaches. "Oh Ashley is not a good hitter" which was true 4 years ago but now Ashley is one of the best hitters. Or "Susan can only play outfield" which again, that was true 4 years ago, but now she could actually be a really good infielder.

2) Every coaching staff will have their strengths and weaknesses. If you play for one team all the time, you will likely be deficient in the same areas the coaches are.

3) It is not a bad thing to get thrown into a new situation and have to prove yourself. Getting pushed is good. (of course you have to get on a team that will give you a chance to play if you do prove yourself)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I could see my DD wanting to leave a team and then come back.

Sometimes you just gotta see what's out there.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
As adults we often times do this very thing with our jobs.

This is a great point. And just with associates that leave and decide to come back, I am not opposed to players doing the same thing. But it is all in the way they handle themselves (or their parents). There have been situations where I have re-hired an associate, and situations where I welcomed back a player. There have also been situations where I turned them down. Sometimes the bridge is burnt beyond repair. Sometimes I am grateful they left.

May 6, 2015
DD may very well end up back on team she left previously. But we left on very good terms, HC was very upfront with us, DD has a spot on her roster, but might see less PT behind plate (she was effectively 3rd in rotation), and said she understood if we wanted her to go somewhere to get more time behind plate to develop. still sees HC for lessons when possible, and is now on another team in same org. who knows what will happen next summer.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I do appreciate the chemistry but I'd prefer chemistry + skill. Great chemistry makes for fun, which I love for the girls. In and of it self it doesn't make for good softball. :p

Isn't that the job of a quality 'developmental" coach and not a "talent manager" as so many "coaches" have become nowadays? IME too many "coaches," even at the lower levels, only know how to manage chemistry and skill. All they do is recruit and look for the next better player to replace the players they currently have. That's one of the main reasons I lose players in my area. As I said before, the other side of the fence... They promise the world and repeatedly underdeliver. But because they win all the time, especially at the younger ages, they get their players. But once they find their next replacement, the old players are far behind the others and usually end up playing for a mediocre team at the older age groups.

I see it time and time again.

Jun 12, 2015
DD went back to a coach we'd left. We had left on good terms, just wanting to explore a different level of ball. Turns out 10U A ball is a bit nutty and for 2nd year 10U she went back to her coach she'd had from rec, going into travel. She only stayed with him a year (long story) but it was a good year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog