Player leaves base to pick up live ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
We had a goofy play at 10u this year where the pitcher didn’t catch the throw back from the catcher. The ball rolled towards second base, nobody realizes its a live ball except the center fielder. The runner on second base left the base and was going to throw the ball back to the pitcher, but the center fielder (my dd) ran up behind her, picked it up and tagged her out.
IF the base runner had left the base, and picked up the ball lile she intended what is the result? Runner out? Just dead ball?

Mar 1, 2013
Realistically, the rules don't have a specific section for "the runner leaves base to pick up the overthrown return throw to the pitcher" situation spelled out. However, I have a runner, off base, intentionally contacting a live ball. Dead ball. Out. Probably a lot of screaming from the players mom in the stands about how she was only trying to help and how mean I am.

Nov 18, 2015
Non-umpire opinion:
Tournament play - out.
Rec league - dead ball - call time and explain why, as helpful as she thought she was being, she can't do that.
Caveat - if rec league, and the fielder was clearly going to pick up the ball to make a play, I would have to go with out, per the actual rule.

Aug 25, 2019
I had a play in middle school, runner on 2nd and the ball bounced off the catchers glove towards the batters dugout. Runner did not go, a player from batters team picked up ball and threw it back to pitcher, I wasn’t sure what to do, so I didn’t call anything, but what would be the correct call, batter out? Runner out?

Mar 1, 2013
I had a play in middle school, runner on 2nd and the ball bounced off the catchers glove towards the batters dugout. Runner did not go, a player from batters team picked up ball and threw it back to pitcher, I wasn’t sure what to do, so I didn’t call anything, but what would be the correct call, batter out? Runner out?
That is actually covered by the rules. In that case, you have a dead ball, but if it didn't interfere with an opportunity for an out, you have nothing other than any runners returning to base.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Since there was no play to be made, I don't think anybody is out. I believe that's just a dead ball, and tell the player to stop being so darn nice. :)

May 29, 2015

It's been a few years, but I actually had a varsity softball player do this in a high school game. She just had a brainfart, but it was same scenario you had: the runner wasn't going and there was no play. I left it at telling her "If that runner was going, you would have had to try to throw her out, so maybe just don't do that again." Everybody had a good laugh.

But yeah, younger ages and nothing on the line, just remind them. Older ages and something at stake, we have an out. In the OP I don't think I would say the CF was coming in to pick up the ball and make the play, as the whole reason the runner was off the bag was to get the ball. There was no play before that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802