Player ejected

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2019
That’s the part I was referencing ... and it is all in the eye of the beholder.

It is natural instinct to react to force with force ... I’m not saying punch to punch. I agree if somebody is laying on top of you (force pressing down), your reaction is to push back (force pushing up) to get out. That is what we as umpires have to look at — did it appear a “natural” reaction or was it intentional and malicious (revenge)?

“Blue, she was just defending herself!” Using a word like “defend” will sway me towards a deliberate action.

“Blue, she was just reacting Using a word like “react” sways me toward instinctual action.

Now an interesting twist ... would you consider the catcher’s actions malicious and would you consider an ejection there?
I actually would, this isnt football you arent supposed to pin a runner down!!

Nov 18, 2013
A little shove was probably warranted, but just like football, it’s usually the one who retaliates that gets called. I liked your coaches advice of the ump overreacting and moving on.

The bigger problem I see is calling a run a point! :giggle:

Welcome to DFP!

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
"Catcher jumps on top of her to prevent her from getting to plate trying to pin her down " .... that could be malicious contact too ... eject them both?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Hi
New here
Question regarding what happened to a teammate.
18U
During a single elimination Tournament

Teammate on third
Ball is batted
Teammate runs
Everyone yelling slide go etc

Slides into/ under catcher who is blocking path. Catcher jumps on top of her to prevent her from getting to plate trying to pin her down

Runner then pushes catcher off to try to get to plate (catcher still doesn't have ball)

Runner gets to plate is called safe point awarded but gets EJECTED for shoving

She was devasted

We all believe this was highly unfair
What's your take?

Hi! It's great to see a new member on here as well as a player! I'll give my perspective as a catcher.

I think both the catcher and the baserunner are wrong in this situation.

As a catcher, we're taught that we should stand in the area around home plate and wait for the ball to come in from the outfield. We cannot interfere with the baserunner as long as we don't have possession of the ball. Once we have the ball, we may impede the runner in a reasonable fashion. The catcher was in the wrong because she laid on the runner impeding her progress without having possession of the softball. Now granted, I have been knocked into by baserunners with and without possession of the softball. I have been knocked down on top of baserunners while trying to catch the ball. I've fallen on top of baserunners. But I have never intentionally laid on a baserunner.

The baserunner was in the wrong because of how her pushing and shoving the catcher to get her off of her could be construed as intentional or malicious. As a catcher, I've been caught with knees, elbows, feet, and hands from baserunners. I've been kicked and stomped as well. But, I have never been meanly been shoved. I have been clotheslined. I've been shoulder-tackled. Heck, I've even been rammed in the chest by another girl's butt. I think baserunners, however, are allowed some leeway from umpires when it comes to physical contact because umpires understand that catchers and runners are going to do whatever they need to, to either score the run or keep the runner from scoring.

I think there either had to be more to the shove or the baserunner cussed or something to get ejected from the game. I don't think a simple push to try to get the catcher off of her.

But, what do I know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45