Player ejected-Little League

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Little League, huh? So this thread begs the question, what happens when the defense picks up on the steal sign, fake bunt sign, or hit away sign, and subsequently relays that to the defense. Who gets ejected? The third baseman for not moving up when she believes the fake bunt is on? The Shortstop for breaking early to prepare for the steal? I would imagine that it has to work both ways.

I will close with, stealing signs is not cheating. Cheating is gaining an unfair advantage through dishonesty (Webster). Picking up on signs is certainly not dishonest.

Aug 30, 2015
Little League, huh? So this thread begs the question, what happens when the defense picks up on the steal sign, fake bunt sign, or hit away sign, and subsequently relays that to the defense. Who gets ejected? The third baseman for not moving up when she believes the fake bunt is on? The Shortstop for breaking early to prepare for the steal? I would imagine that it has to work both ways.

I will close with, stealing signs is not cheating. Cheating is gaining an unfair advantage through dishonesty (Webster). Picking up on signs is certainly not dishonest.
LL doesn't say it's cheating, they Say it's unsportsmanlike conduct

There have been plenty of threads on this board over the years about how generally most people do not like sign stealing because it's bush and unsportsmanlike.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
LL doesn't say it's cheating, they Say it's unsportsmanlike conduct

There have been plenty of threads on this board over the years about how generally most people do not like sign stealing because it's bush and unsportsmanlike.

It is neither.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
It is neither.
Concur.
If I agree that sign stealing is Bush League and unsportsmanlike, then my next question is; in the event that you decipher the 3B Coach's signal for steal or fake bunt, is the answer to do nothing? Do I let my 3B charge on a fake bunt? Can I be accused of stealing if I anticipate the pitch call because I indicate to my batter the catcher is setting up outside?

I know this is splitting hairs, and I understand the semantics between cheating, unsportsmanlike, and so on. However, I think it's important to realize that there are many games going on inside the game. Picking up or deciphering the other coach's signs is not "stealing" it is preparing your players for what is coming next.

Final thought, knowing a fastball is coming doesn't help you hit it.

May 6, 2015

agree with most of what you said except that. if DD knows she does not have to worry about a CU or drop, it is easier for her to hit it, and hit it well. just nitpickin, yes, they still have to hit the ball.

Also, I think LL objection stems (just like most rules not about the game play itself) from a few jerks, once the LLWS started to gain some coverage and therefore be important, setting up in CF and figuring out signs and relaying it. if it is players or coaches on field or in dugout, as long as they are not using technology to do so, I think it is part of the game. fans or parents in CF, pretty sketchy

Mar 28, 2014
What? Sure it does. it eliminates having to watch for a change up or a curve, or a drop ball, etc.... That is a huge advantage.

Knowing a change up is coming helps out a bunch. Same thing with a curve. And a drop. AND A FASTBALL.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
What? Sure it does. it eliminates having to watch for a change up or a curve, or a drop ball, etc.... That is a huge advantage.

Knowing a change up is coming helps out a bunch. Same thing with a curve. And a drop. AND A FASTBALL.
You say this pre-supposing that there will be no flaw in the hitter's execution, and the pitch will be exactly where the hitter believes it will be located.

Mar 28, 2014
You say this pre-supposing that there will be no flaw in the hitter's execution, and the pitch will be exactly where the hitter believes it will be located.
I'm not saying that it guarantees a dinger every at bat. I'm saying it is unequivocally advantageous to know what pitch is coming as it eliminates one of the numerous mysteries a batter faces. No one can argue that. Rather no one SHOULD argue that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478