Play up or not?!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
DD is 11 YO and just finished her spring season of 12U. She's the only 08 on the team and team plans to play some 14U in the fall and then play 14U fulltime in Spring 2020. What do most DD's do? Play up or play within their respective age groups? I understand playing up has a lot (if not everything) to do with skill level and ability to play at the higher level. DD is undecided what she wants to do. She's not overly excited to play 14U but loves the girls on her travel ball team. I'm wanting to provide the best option for her to be successful and to have a good time. Current coach says we should finish the 2019 season and then assess what changes should be made if any. Only thing that gives me pause about waiting is that most 08 teams are making their initial move to 12U now and it would be a good time to make a transition if we're going to make one. All feedback is appreciated! Thanks everyone!
If you have any doubt go with 12U. Always time to play-up at a later date.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Depends on your DD's ability and if she wants to play in college.

There is no point in playing on a team where she hits .800. If she is dominant at 12u, move up.

If she wants to play in college, the goal is to get her on a 16u team by her freshman year of HS.

So, she probably will need 1 year of 14u. Plan it out a little.

The "I love my teammates" attitude needs to be jettisoned. About 50% of the 12u girls quit.

Apr 20, 2015
Sluggers would you hold to your 16u statement if your child is playing age appropriate with the thunderbolts, hotshots, Beverly bandits etc?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
DD is 11 YO and just finished her spring season of 12U. She's the only 08 on the team and team plans to play some 14U in the fall and then play 14U fulltime in Spring 2020. What do most DD's do? Play up or play within their respective age groups? I understand playing up has a lot (if not everything) to do with skill level and ability to play at the higher level. DD is undecided what she wants to do. She's not overly excited to play 14U but loves the girls on her travel ball team. I'm wanting to provide the best option for her to be successful and to have a good time. Current coach says we should finish the 2019 season and then assess what changes should be made if any. Only thing that gives me pause about waiting is that most 08 teams are making their initial move to 12U now and it would be a good time to make a transition if we're going to make one. All feedback is appreciated! Thanks everyone!

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Depends if you think DD is ready for 14U. Sometimes it’s good to flourish in your own age group, and to have a chance to stand out amongst those your age. It’s also good to play at a level you are going to challenge yourself though. Playing with teammates you like to be around is also important, but it is also good to flourish and branch off with others.

Feb 20, 2019
My DD faced that same decision last fall, after her first full year of 12U select. She was the only 06, and 5th grader, on a team of 05/6th graders and 04/7th graders, in addition to being the smallest in physical stature. She fought so hard to prove herself and find her place on the team, she didn’t want to give all that up and start over with another team. So we moved up to 14U.

Let me just say that 14U A level ball was quite an adjustment for everyone on the team. It’s not uncommon to play teams with several 6-foot plus players and/or high school freshmen. While playing well against high school freshman as a 6th grader was a confidence booster, I often wonder how different it would have been if she’d played in 12U another season.

She definitely benefited from the tougher competition, but I think it also limited her from playing a larger role, both offensively and defensively. She’s settled into being an outfielder (although she’s still a good infielder), but she’s gotten frustrated with being asked to bunt all the time. She’s a speedy, lead-off slapper and I’m sure she’ll be asked to bunt a lot in high school if she continues to play, but she's not fully ready to accept that role just yet.

My advice is to consider the decision carefully and weigh the pros and cons of being a dominant player on a 12U team versus playing a smaller role on a 14U team and, potentially, limiting her overall development. The social aspect of the age difference doesn’t really concern me that much as she’ll eventually have to deal with that anyway.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sluggers would you hold to your 16u statement if your child is playing age appropriate with the thunderbolts, hotshots, Beverly bandits etc?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with the schedule of those teams.

For recruiting purposes, you would stay on the team. (note: just because a coach says the team is great doesn't make it so.)

To improve, a kid needs to play in games decided by 1 or 2 runs. She needs to be challenged all the time. She needs to play against catchers who throw runners out. She needs to play against OF with good arms.

Back in the day, the top 14U teams played 16U tournaments except for one or two 14U national qualifiers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478