pitching warmup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2008
I have a question about the warmup for pitchers in the pre-game. Currently the pitcher and catchers go through their routine of wrist snaps "t"'s and then full pitchs. I would guess they throw upwards of 50 or so pre-game warmup pitchs. What are some of the thoughts or suggestions of the warm-up? I heard pitchers at the college level work on spins rather than full pitchs in their warmup and then full pitch just before game start.

May 27, 2008
I think you would find a number of different answers to this question as every pitcher may be unique as to how or what works for them as a warm up.

My DD's warm up would go something like -

Overhand throwing for as long as she wants. Usually start fairly close and progressively back up a large step. She'll usually mix in underhand throwing. Nothing special just to get loose.

Then when she's ready she'll start from a K and do sling shots for as long as she wants, probably no more than 25-30 times. I get on her a bit for her release and watch the spin on the ball. It will give me a bit of feedback to how she is snapping. She can get lazy during warmups sometimes and she shouldn't.

Then she'll go back to the mound and do some walk throughs with the catcher 40 some feet away.

Then she'll work on pitches and start with fastballs. She doesn't throw them in a game but that's always where she starts for speed. Work on corners, pretty basic fundamentals and still will keep an eye on the spin of the ball for feedback on her release.

Then it's drops in/out, changeups, off speed, curves, screws, riseballs maybe 10-15 of each pitch. The pitcher and catcher should be able to decide what's working and what isn't. Past results of pitches are not a guarantee or future performance so usally everything won't be quite as sharp on every given day. So it's important to work through all of the spins.

My DD's full warmup will be a good 30-40 minutes. This is also unique to the pitcher. Some will be good to go in a few minutes others will be an hour.

May 7, 2008
My DD is 12...here is a typical pre-game routine.

After she takes hitting and fielding warm-ups.

She will throw OH for a few minutes based on temperature. Then she will throw UH a few minutes. She then moves to slingshots at 40ft. working on "being quick" and "whipping her arm". Then she will throw full motion each of her pitches. Usually 10 drops, 10 changes, 10 screws.

Keith

May 7, 2008
college level warm up

Pitchers at the college level warm up the same way, using the same sequence prior to their pitching. This is as much a mental exercise as it is a physcial one. They will do their spins for each pitch they throw in a specific order, then throw them in a specific order. They will not throw too many if everything is fine with each pitch. Then they will mix them up, calling each pitch to the catcher as they go. 30 to 50 throws is about what a warm up consists of. When they have completed, they are then physically and mentally prepared to enter the game. When warming up to relieve, they will go to the pen when their team is in the field only, and throw only enough to keep themselves warm and ready after the initial warm up. Warming up should be a ritual the pitcher uses to ensure that they are entering the game with full confidence and preparation.

Rich

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the input. I like the thought of only throwing enough to be game ready. I think our pitchers might be throwing too much but then again each pitcher is different.

Pitchers at the college level warm up the same way, using the same sequence prior to their pitching. This is as much a mental exercise as it is a physcial one. They will do their spins for each pitch they throw in a specific order, then throw them in a specific order. They will not throw too many if everything is fine with each pitch. Then they will mix them up, calling each pitch to the catcher as they go. 30 to 50 throws is about what a warm up consists of. When they have completed, they are then physically and mentally prepared to enter the game. When warming up to relieve, they will go to the pen when their team is in the field only, and throw only enough to keep themselves warm and ready after the initial warm up. Warming up should be a ritual the pitcher uses to ensure that they are entering the game with full confidence and preparation.

Rich

Jun 2, 2008
Warm-up

I read this forum alot with great interest - and never post. But this particular topic hit home for me.

I have a first year 12U pitching first year 14U. As most of you probably know, there are ALOT of differences between 12 yos and 13/14yos. As a result, my daughter is easily influenced by what they do, which includes very shortened pitching practices and warm-ups. I am attimate about her completing her full warm-up sequence each and every time - as well has pitching 3-4 times a week.

Her warm-up cycle reps are based on what she wants to do (normall about 25each), but sequence is the same. Wrist snaps (weighted ball), wrist snaps (spinner), wrist snaps (ball), T's (25ft), Arm whips (40ft), Walk-thru (full speed, run not walk-about 10-15), warm-up spins/drop, then pitches 50-75 pitches. It takes a good 30-45 min to warm up. It bugs the coaches, but the results speak for themselves.

We have a pitcher that only pitches during practices. Last night, she pitched a full 9 mins from first warmup to final pitch. She does this twice a week, and expects to pitch 2-3 games on a weekend. Did I mention she is always hurt (pulled back/ribs)? She is very athletic, stong and could be a very good pitcher. I believe she is hurt alot because she does not condition herself to pitch and tries to do it all on the weekends. When she's hurt, we lose her other skills as well as pitching. I see this alot around the ball fields, pitchers warm up in 10min. I just don't see how this is effective.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In college, you might not have time to warm up for 45 minutes. So, you may have to do things faster than you wish.

One of things my daughter learned was how to play "pitch and catch" underhanded. So, warming up consisted of playing pitch and catch underhanded, and then gradually increasing the speed of the pitches until she was at 55 mph or so. She then transitioned into "normal" pitching with the catcher in a crouch and started pitching "full out" for a few pitches (10?). She would then work on her pitches. As soon as she got her movement the way she wanted it, she was ready to go.

There is the whole "stamina" thing. You may end up pitching 10 or 15 innings (or more) in a day. (My daughter did 42 innings one day when they got into the loser bracket.) Every pitch you throw at full speed is one less you can throw later.

JRW

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have been around enough pitchers to tell you that there is no one way to warm up.

Warming up is really an individual things - especially for pitchers. Some need a lot of time to feel good and others can be ready in 10-12 minutes. Some really want to get their spin right, others prefer full motion warm-ups. It all depends. I have seen it all.

The older you get, the longer it takes usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
:) It used to be that there was 2 age groups in ASA, 16U and the older girls/women. Most of us were in our early 20s, but our pitcher/coach was closer to 40.

She had quit warming up a few years before her career ended. I can still hear her say, "I don't have to warm up. I have done this all of my life."

Well, that wasn't totally true and the rest of us knew that we better be on our toes the first 3 innings, until JoAnne finally got warmed up.

Anyway, this subject just made me think of that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802