Pitching videos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hey Josh.
There's a whole lot to like about her. Being only 10 she's got a really good foundation to build on. You're right, there's a little to be desired in the drive mechanics, but overall he's looking really good. She's going to be ahead of the curve in learning spins. So start trying to prevent her from over rotating her torso towards the catcher during and after release. The excess rotation will make it really difficult to achieve correct axis down the road.
Overall..... Awesome job so far!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks good...but, you did ask for advice.

A flaw is that she doesn't quite get the ball in the correct position as it moves around the circle.

The hand should be *BEHIND* the ball at 12 and *UNDER* the ball at 9.

She has the hand on the 1B side of the ball.

Try having her do this drill. Have her pay particular attention to the ball position in her hand.

When she starts getting her hand position correct, then have her start dropping her mitt to her side as she throws to work on her adduction.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B6PW4DCqbW8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BLB

May 19, 2008

The hand should be *BEHIND* the ball at 12 and *UNDER* the ball at 9.

She has the hand on the 1B side of the ball.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B6PW4DCqbW8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good advice from Sluggers. In my opinion, on her upswing, it might help if she had her hand more on the side of the ball instead of on top or even slightly beyond in her case. Having the hand to the side usually helps ending up with the palm of the hand facing the catcher by the 12 oc progress point because of shoulder turn. This in turn helps set up external rotation (palm up) during the downswing. This in turn helps initiate internal rotation of the arm and pronation of the forearm through the release zone, i,e, arm whip. In the drive phase, she must get to maximum forward momentum by the 3 oc progress point. Her drive knee-foot extension sequence has to be quicker (sooner) in order to get to full leg extension earlier in her motion.

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
In regards to the drive, compare DD'S push and drive off the rubber with Fico. Couple of things I see, keep up on the ball of the drive foot as she pushes off the rubber, and work on driving straight out. DD looks to be opening, instead of driving out. Nice job overall, just a couple of things I think will help her get off the rubber quicker.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
In regards to the drive, compare DD'S push and drive off the rubber with Fico. Couple of things I see, keep up on the ball of the drive foot as she pushes off the rubber, and work on driving straight out. DD looks to be opening, instead of driving out. Nice job overall, just a couple of things I think will help her get off the rubber quicker.

Love the way this GIF stops right at 3:00.... its at this exact point that I want to see the right leg fully extended and rolling up onto her toes. This should be felt in her hamstring and butt muscles. An explosive drive, and an even more explosive stop is where this kid will thrive!!!

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
One question for the local experts, do you think by closing early, she is losing the advantage of adduction? Looks like the arm is in a weaker position than it would be if she stayed open longer, thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-26-13-30-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-26-13-30-07.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_2018-02-26-13-29-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-26-13-29-42.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 121
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
One question for the local experts, do you think by closing early, she is losing the advantage of adduction? Looks like the arm is in a weaker position than it would be if she stayed open longer, thoughts.

I would try getting her off the plate by the time her arm hits 3 o'clock and see what result that adjustment had on your question...CP

Jan 21, 2016
I would try getting her off the plate by the time her arm hits 3 o'clock and see what result that adjustment had on your question...CP

I've shown her clips like the one Shaker has provided etc. and she just can't seem to figure it out. She's a pretty smart kid and really takes coaching well....I just am not sure what to do/tell her to do to help her. Just a dumb bucket dad who has benefited from some really kind people on this board.

We really appreciate the feedback!

Josh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee