Pitching Video / Instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
What are the best pitching instruction videos to get? For hitting, I am looking at the Englishbey ones. If the price was right, I would try getting him to come for a hitting clinic, but am doubting I could afford that. I would consider the same for a pitching clinic to. Let me know what you all think is best.

Thanks

Rob

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
The two I own and think are decent are Michele Smith's and Cat Osterman's. I hear Hillhouse's vid is good but I haven't bought it because I have seen him three times in person and I hear his video and clinic presentations are very similar. Google Rita Lynn Gilman and check out her site. She has a video now and if you like the Kempf and Smith style of pitching techniques you'll like Gilman. I also own the RightView Pro software with the instruction player and capture viewer which is very good. Look at DartFish also for vid analysis.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, DVDs for pitching and occasional pitching clinics may be entertaining, but they have little value for creating even a good high school pitcher.

If your goal is to have some kids that throw 50 MPH, then you don't need a coach, a DVD, or anything. You simply get the kids out in the backyard and have them throw for three or four hours a week. In six months to a year, they'll be throwing 50 MPH. Of course their motions will be a mess, and they will get lit up like a Xmas tree in high school, but at 12U, they'll be great!

If your goal is to make a good HS pitcher, she has to throw 55 MPH. If you want a good college pitcher, they have to throw 60 MPH. The real work is fine tuning the athlete to reach those speeds. That takes time and someone who has experience and who can break down the girl's motion, find all the defects, and get them ironed out.

Aug 21, 2008
IMHO, DVDs for pitching and occasional pitching clinics may be entertaining, but they have little value for creating even a good high school pitcher.

Sluggers, I agree. A lot of times clinics are useless without follow up to make sure they continue on the set path. But they do provide more than entertainment if you find out from your clinician that you may be doing things contrary to what's "right". It often gets me into trouble that I'm emphatic about things being "right and wrong". Just as there is a correct way to throw a ball overhand, there is also a correct way underhand. Our bodies are designed to work a certain way.

What gets confusing for people is to go to 2 different clinics by 2 different people that say 2 different things. Who's right? Well in most cases, compare what the 2 people said vs what you see the best pitchers in the world actually doing and you'll have your answer. When I do a clinic, I do everything with a demonstration so you can see it and hear it. I also show what happens if I don't do something the particular way I'm explaining, because everything I do is for a reason. Pitching is not rocket science but it's been made soooooooo complicated by so many people. Everyone has a new gadget, training aide, drill, etc. It's almost like everyone wants to invent a shortcut for good old fashioned hard work.

Bill

Of course I am going to be biased in this response, but---
Sarah Pauly (3 Time NPF All Pro) and her Dad (me) have just finished what I believe to be the best training video for basic pitching mechanics. We teamed with Motion Labs Online and did a lot of the video in 300 and 600 Frames per second so you can really see what happens. There is narration, super slow motion, key phrases/words on the screen, and is broken into 14 phases of the pitch. Lots of years of knowledge wrapped up in this video. We have five more in development---all the movement pitches, etc.
The video goes on sale this weekend at the Myrtle Beach Coaches Clinic and then will be offer to the general public.

Aug 21, 2008
Rick

I hope it went well at your coaches clinic and I wish you all the best success with the sale of your new DVD. I'm sure it will be a huge hit.

Bill

May 12, 2008
What gets confusing for people is to go to 2 different clinics by 2 different people that say 2 different things. Who's right? Well in most cases, compare what the 2 people said vs what you see the best pitchers in the world actually doing and you'll have your answer.

Bill

I often say the same thing about hitting. Here's a few clips of pitchers for just that. Windmill

Aug 21, 2008
Mark

Thanks for sending those video clips. So that's what a great pitcher looks like huh?

:)

Bill

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hillhouse: You convinced me. That makes a lot of sense. I can see a pitching coach using DVDs to explain and illustrate points about the pitching motion. It would be helpful for someone learning to see the pitching motion broken down.

I could see a girl working on a particular phase of the pitching motion, then watching the DVD, working on that particular phase in practice, and then going to her pitching coach to make sure that everything was coming together correctly.

The first priority would be to find a good pitching coach. IMHO, it is impossible for a girl to develop into a good pitcher without a pitching coach.

By the way, it isn't different than any other sport. My other DD (the basketball player) also went to a private coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802