pitching styles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
That would be the pull down phase. After warming up and loosening up, begin to back up a few steps at a time till she can't reach you regardless of angle of release. Then move it back in a few steps at a time trying to keep the feel of the the throw at the longest distance while throwing the shorter distance eventually working back to regulation distance hopefully still throwing with the same feel as the long distance throw except for release point.

LOL I love this thread, it brings back some fun memories. Mark, what you are describing is what we looked for at a game in inexperienced coaches and pitchers. They would warm up and then (usually in the outfield) start backing up, WAY BACK!. Pretty soon they are throwing twice the distance or more and throwing the ball very high, huge arc to be able to make it to their catcher. This was supposed to be impressive and intimidating to us, the other team. It only made us chuckle cause we knew what was coming next.

When we saw the pitcher doing this we just chuckled and told the team "OK, nobody swings at ANYTHING until she throws three strikes in a row. She's gonna be throwing WAY high in the zone, NOBODY SWINGS until we say so."

That pitcher would usually walk the first 3 batters she faced as she really struggled to bring the ball down. Our gals would just stand there and let her do it until someone got struck out. Sometimes 3 would get walked but I remember one game where they kept the kid in and she walked 7 straight before throwing three unchallenged strikes.

What you do in warm ups and practice, you WILL do in the game, at least for the first inning or two.

I would suggest starting them at the rubber. Back them up a step, then another step, etc. Extend the distance but NOT past the point where she puts an arc in the ball to reach the catcher. ESPECIALLY if this is just before she pitches in a game.

This is one of the subjects discussed in a chapter of my book. It is a 'Bad pitching habit'.

Hal

Winning Fast Pitch Softball

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
The long toss drill should never be done on game day right? I use it with my daughter during the off season and maybe sporadically during the season on a father/daughter practice day - completely separate from any team practices. We like to set a bucket on home plate and see who can knock it over first - makes it fun and competitive!

May 12, 2008
They misused it Hal. Never on game day. It's a developmental tool not a game day thing. It's what Ernie Parker recommended for DD when he felt she had good mechanics but needed to develop more speed. Fits right in with motor learning theory and it works with over hand throwing/pitchers who have the same command requirements in their sport. Like any tool, it can be misused.

Mar 30, 2009
my dd does long toss in practice not at a game and we never end throwing from the out field.we always walk it in and finish on the rubber. she has no control problems after doing long toss either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802