Pitching Strategy against good hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2017
My suggestion is a little different then most replies. The advice of others about change up is correct. But as a coach you have a responsibility to get better and helping your pitchers with pitch selection. Learn to read batters stance. Look for flaws in their swing. Even if you only have a fastball if they can locate on the corners you can help them by your calls. Also try the 2 seam fastball. I know many don’t believe in it with softball but for some girls it can really move. Same mechanics just different spin and movement. Can be a quick learned approach for a little variation in the fastball. If they have good speed then challenge batters on inside. Most girls in 12u are still close to the plate. You can get easy foul balls or weak hits on inside corners. Have a plan and be prepared to adjust as the other team adjust. Also teach your catchers to read the batters and adjustments to give you feedback since you are looking from the side. Don’t get caught up in too many pitches. A good fastball that can hit spots on demand and a change up will still dominate at the biggest 12A national tournaments.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Also try the 2 seam fastball. I know many don’t believe in it with softball but for some girls it can really move. Same mechanics just different spin and movement. Can be a quick learned approach for a little variation in the fastball.
You can't simply rotate the ball in your hand and get different movement. There are subtle differences in the finger pressure applied to the ball to get movement.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
My suggestion is a little different then most replies. The advice of others about change up is correct. But as a coach you have a responsibility to get better and helping your pitchers with pitch selection. Learn to read batters stance. Look for flaws in their swing. Even if you only have a fastball if they can locate on the corners you can help them by your calls. Also try the 2 seam fastball. I know many don’t believe in it with softball but for some girls it can really move. Same mechanics just different spin and movement. Can be a quick learned approach for a little variation in the fastball. If they have good speed then challenge batters on inside. Most girls in 12u are still close to the plate. You can get easy foul balls or weak hits on inside corners. Have a plan and be prepared to adjust as the other team adjust. Also teach your catchers to read the batters and adjustments to give you feedback since you are looking from the side. Don’t get caught up in too many pitches. A good fastball that can hit spots on demand and a change up will still dominate at the biggest 12A national tournaments.

There are a couple of things here which threw me off. As sluggers said, " Also try the 2 seam fastball. I know many don’t believe in it with softball but for some girls it can really move. Same mechanics just different spin and movement" seems a little off for me. The 2 and 4 seam in baseball work by varying gravity influence and slightly slower speed or the 2 seam. But you can throw a cutting fastball by putting your middle finger closer to the index finger, applying more pressure with the index side, even curling the index finger tip into the ball, and releasing straight. The ball fades down and in. Not that is a very effective pitch because even moving 2 inches really affects the batter since down and in is the hardest pitch to hit for a player with very good mechanics (Good mechanics includes covering outside corner, being able to hit to RF).

As far as 5 or 6 pitches for a 12U player, I can't imagine it. For me it takes the focus on basic development. For me, basic solid mechanics that allow speed development is paramount. Learn to control the fastball. Then learn command, putting it where you want with accuracy. Learn the changeup! That is enough for 12U and I don't think there are enough exceptions to the rule to warrant other pitches at that age.

When accomplished at 12U or 14U then a drop should be next. I am not big on a peel-drop, and in fact I don't teach it well. So I speak in terms of a roll-over. There is a second way to throw it so it does not carry much if any risk. Girls who have keen kinetic awareness might consider learning a drop-curve as well which is a simple adjustment to the inside of the left leg, thumb and index to the thigh, pinky toward the catcher.

I teach a curve next, and a curve-rise, pulling the curve up to the left shoulder next. Easier than the rise and very effective against left-handed batters with a RH pitcher. Then I work on a true rise.

You want to see a home-run? Throw waist high curve and screwballs over the plate.

Oct 25, 2019
for 12 U ball, What should I have my pitchers do when the other teams' batters are hitting my their fastballs other than throw a faster fastball?! LOL
My pitchers cannot throw anything but fastballs at this time, we are working on change ups etc.
Does it make sense for my pitchers to throw slower to the batters like an Arc pitch? I'm wondering if the other teams' batters are using the speed of our fastballs to their advantage....
Honestly, I would spend tons of time working on that changeup. Extremely important pitch. Pitching is all about disrupting the hitters timing. You could try the arc but it wouldn't be nearly as effective since the batter sees it coming slow out of her hand. Changeup should look identical to a fastball out of the hand, that's what makes it a devastating pitch if done correctly. Good luck!

Oct 26, 2019
Honestly, I would spend tons of time working on that changeup. Extremely important pitch. Pitching is all about disrupting the hitters timing. You could try the arc but it wouldn't be nearly as effective since the batter sees it coming slow out of her hand. Changeup should look identical to a fastball out of the hand, that's what makes it a devastating pitch if done correctly. Good luck!
This has been my experience both in college baseball and in 10U softball. I threw 82-84 mph tops in college but had a very effective change up. This allowed me success at that level. My DD is in 10U and she throws anywhere from 36-39mph. She has developed a pretty decent change up that she hides well and throws around 29 mph. She throws a lot of strikes and mixes in the change up. Pitching this way gives her a chance to be successful until (hopefully) she picks up more velo. The days she falls behind in the count and can’t get the change up over the plate though...those days we hope the other team can’t hit :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
*Get the change up in the mix today!
The best time to try it...
is right now ;)

if the coach WONT call a REALLY NECESSARY PITCH
( the change up)
Perhaps have somebody else
Call pitches!

This isnt a matter of learning a new fastball.
(My gosh people talking about
another grip fastball...for a 12u pitcher whos throwing the same straight pitches anyway...and nothing else?!?!.)

Come on now!!!

Coach Parent Pitcher Catcher
Someone STEP UP YOUR GAME
CALL THE CHANGE UP

encouragement reminder

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2017
You can't simply rotate the ball in your hand and get different movement. There are subtle differences in the finger pressure applied to the ball to get movement.

I agree that with finger pressure and a few differences you can control the movement. I disagree on rotation of the ball having zero effect. With high velocity and spin rate the ball will react differently with 2 vs 4 seams. While a great change up or drop would be better for movement long term those pitches can take a long time to master. Playing with 2 seam fastballs does not take very long to get a different look then just a 4 seam fastball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I agree that with finger pressure and a few differences you can control the movement. I disagree on rotation of the ball having zero effect. With high velocity and spin rate the ball will react differently with 2 vs 4 seams. While a great change up or drop would be better for movement long term those pitches can take a long time to master. Playing with 2 seam fastballs does not take very long to get a different look then just a 4 seam fastball.
While i recognize your discussion started focussing on pitch grips...
Lets also point out your suggestion includes high velocity.

The pitcher in this thread is a 12u pitcher trying to find their way throwing only so called fastball
(aka boring straight pitch)
and is being tagged!

Add~
Dont really think this is about facing good hitters.
Think this is about a pitcher who needs to move up on their learning curve.

Without changing speeds and some other spins...
Hitters pounding the ball will continue.

Grow from offering batting practice!
Aka Same straight speed pitches
Needs the assistance of mixing speed.
Next step spins.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree that with finger pressure and a few differences you can control the movement. I disagree on rotation of the ball having zero effect. With high velocity and spin rate the ball will react differently with 2 vs 4 seams.

When you use a machine, rather than a pitcher, there is no difference in the pitch movement based on 2-seam or 4 seam pitching.

Some pitchers using a 2 seam grip can make the ball move more, but it is due to the pitcher getting a better grip on the seams, allowing the pitcher to spin the ball differently.

Besides the science, does that make any sense? If all a pitcher has to do is rotate the ball in his hand and he would get movment on a pitch, wouldn't every MLB pitcher throw one? But, not all pitchers throw one...Jacob deGrom, e.g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478