Pitching Strategy against good hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
for 12 U ball, What should I have my pitchers do when the other teams' batters are hitting my their fastballs other than throw a faster fastball?! LOL
My pitchers cannot throw anything but fastballs at this time, we are working on change ups etc.
Does it make sense for my pitchers to throw slower to the batters like an Arc pitch? I'm wondering if the other teams' batters are using the speed of our fastballs to their advantage....
Your pitchers cant throw a change up and your worried other teams batters are using the speed of your pitchers to their advantage.
Batters wouldnt be hitting your pitcher's if the were actually throwing speed.
Your pitchers are working on change up off the field and coach isnt calling it on the field.
Thats the gap.

Jun 19, 2016
At 12U really fast or really slow pitchers do well. 45 -50 mph pitchers get teed off on unless they can locate and move the ball.

Oct 4, 2018
No worries. Throw the fastball for location work on low, medium, high. Throw the change even if she dirt's it. Mix it up, and change levels. As they grow and get stronger things will settle down.

Thank you.

We're not terribly worried. She was dominant in 10U being able to locate the fastball and having a change. Moved up to playing against 13 year olds (for middle school ball) and is getting hit a bit. Luckily it's not phasing her. I do wish they called more change ups. Girls are just waiting on the fastball.

Feb 20, 2020
As always, follow Crash Davis’s advice. Hit the bull.

If they can throw strikes, then have them throw wild when you can afford it (won’t let someone score). If you make the batters think your pitchers can‘t throw strikes consistently, they might be a smidge slower on the swing, thinking that the strike is the exception, not the rule. At 12 they still look for walks much of the time, and if you get them thinking the walk is coming, you might steal a strikeout or two you wouldn’t otherwise get.

But strikeouts are boring. And they’re fascist.

It’s time to tell the rest of the team to step up. Better defense, better hitting. 9-8 games are more fun, anyway. Let them know pitchers’ job is to throw strikes, and strikes get hit, and they have to deal with those hits. There are seven of them out there, after all. Tell your team that it’s a team game and to have any chance at success, they’re all going to have to contribute.

Oct 4, 2018
If she is not going to be a speed pitcher I would go ahead and start working the movement. Even speed pitchers need movement. The peel drop is a good movement pitch to start with.

She's been among the fastest for her age (thus far in her short career). It's just when playing girls 3 years older that her she isn't fast (compared to what they are used to).

We're currently working on a drop and a curve. Not quite game ready but there is movement on them and that's encouraging. I'm all about the strategy and mind games and fooling batters. I can't wait until her movement pitches are part of her arsenal.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
My unsolicited advice is to work drop and change incessantly until your dd masters both of them. Personally, I’m not a big fan of pitches that stay in the same plane, such as curveballs and screwballs.

Yes I am not a fan of same plane pitches either. I like to see the peel drop developed rather than the turnover drop which just looks like an injury waiting to happen. Along with a good change up the peel can keep good hitters guessing. Of course there is the control factor which trumps all of this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee