Pitching Rule Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD works very fast and we use wristbands, she is on the rubber and gets the signal and goes. She was warned for not pausing looking at the catcher long enough. Is this correct since she is on the rubber and obviously looks at the catcher before pitching. She does work fast. Drives me crazy sometimes how fast she works but not sure it's illegal since she is on the rubber and lookss

Have to see it to know for sure, but from your description there is a pretty good chance she is not pausing long enough to 'simulate a signal' or whatever is required in the rule set she is working with. If she is just looking up and making eye contact with the catcher and going, then pretty good chance she is going faster than the rules stipulates (which to be fair is pretty badly defined in most rule sets).

They have been making this a point of emphasis in NFHS and NCAA games the past couple of seasons. Like a lot of 'points of emphasis', it doesn't get to a large portion of the umpires not doing 'the big games', the umpires who can't make the limited training offered and the few umpires think they are above direction who are, so it can be inconsistent which drives everyone nuts.

Jan 28, 2017
I prefer a good pace to the game.
Not rushed tho.
However when I see pitchers that like to work fast,
I make sure to utilize the Umpire to control the tempo of getting in the box to set up.
Look at blue hand up, make sure they have hand up.
Step in.

Batters can control the tempo of

I prefer a good pace to the game.
Not rushed tho.
However when I see pitchers that like to work fast,
I make sure to utilize the Umpire to control the tempo of getting in the box to set up.
Look at blue hand up, make sure they have hand up.
Step in.

Batters can control the tempo of the game also.
If she catches the ball, steps immediately on the rubber, gets the call, looks up and pitches without time called it's not illegal, correct? I was trying to understand why he came to me to warn
Have to see it to know for sure, but from your description there is a pretty good chance she is not pausing long enough to 'simulate a signal' or whatever is required in the rule set she is working with. If she is just looking up and making eye contact with the catcher and going, then pretty good chance she is going faster than the rules stipulates (which to be fair is pretty badly defined in most rule sets).

They have been making this a point of emphasis in NFHS and NCAA games the past couple of seasons. Like a lot of 'points of emphasis', it doesn't get to a large portion of the umpires not doing 'the big games', the umpires who can't make the limited training offered and the few umpires think they are above direction who are, so it can be inconsistent which drives everyone nuts.
Looked at the rule and says simulate getting the signal with your hands apart. She was pausing but bringing her hands together. She doesn’t swing back. No advantage but I guess it’s a rule. Funny thing is the opposing pitcher was stepping back (can’t in Florida) and leaping but nothing.

Mar 28, 2020
To answer this; there are some technicalities, but yes the pitcher, the catcher, the batter and the umpire have to be ready - and it is the umpire who should be the one making sure that is the case. As an umpire, I like to drop into position last; i.e. I drop into position to call the pitch only once all the players are ready. There is 'no pitch' if I am not ready for it - no matter what else is going on.

In your example -this makes it easy - I am not dropping down to call the pitch until your batter is ready - and if the pitcher pitches before I am ready, it is a 'no pitch' call, and I am having a word with the pitcher that makes it clear she is not to pitch until it is clear I am ready.

The idea of making the pitcher 'take a signal' or 'pausing' is not really about stopping a pitcher from pitching before the batter is ready, but rather to stop them using the step onto the rubber as momentum - basically getting additional pitch speed by effectively walking into a pitch.

Pitching rules around this are a mess. I wish they would simplify it - it would be much easier if the rules just said "The pitcher must come to a complete stop once they toe the rubber, and the pitch cannot be thrown before the batter, catcher and umpire are ready.
Ok that makes sense.........

Thanks

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Why did NCAA change the rules to not allow pitchers to take pitch calls behind the rubber? Quick pitching? Now they take the call behind the rubber, get on the rubber, and then look at wrist band. . I’m not sure why I don’t like it but I don’t lol
Best thing they ever did. Wish NFHS a and everyone else would use the same rule.
Completely eliminates the opportunity for the pitchers to step on the rubber and go like we see 75% of the pitchers do in travel ball, and high school.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Once you have both feet in, you should be ready.
This is literally impossible.

Nobody should be expected to be ready to hit the very instant, as in .00000000001 seconds after, both feet enter the box. In fact, I'd bet most people don't even have their feet in the spot they'll actually start upon entering the box (especially for younger/smaller players who aren't taking a giant three-foot step from outside the box to inside).

Jul 19, 2021
This is literally impossible.

Nobody should be expected to be ready to hit the very instant, as in .00000000001 seconds after, both feet enter the box. In fact, I'd bet most people don't even have their feet in the spot they'll actually start upon entering the box (especially for younger/smaller players who aren't taking a giant three-foot step from outside the box to inside).
Good Lord Coach, ever heard of nuance? I take back what I said about you earlier. No way I want you coaching my kid with you being that literal about everything! Lol.....

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Good Lord Coach, ever heard of nuance? I take back what I said about you earlier. No way I want you coaching my kid with you being that literal about everything! Lol.....

But you have to take it literally if you're talking about a rule, don't you? If the rule is the batter just has to be in the box, then you should be allowed to pitch immediately. If you don't think that's fair, then what is? Some time between entering the box and getting set?

As for coaching your kid: There are so many better coaches out there. I coach at the level I do for a reason.

Jul 19, 2021
But you have to take it literally if you're talking about a rule, don't you?
No. No you don't. :D

Another philosophical question -- Why even get out of the box? Stay in there, then you will have plenty of time to get ready for the pitch. Get your feet set. Adjust your batting gloves. All that good stuff that no one did 20 years ago! Ha!

Some Umps don't like it either. We played in some tournaments where they had to keep one foot in the box after the first pitch. Loved how it moved the game along quickly.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Another philosophical question -- Why even get out of the box? Stay in there, then you will have plenty of time to get ready for the pitch. Get your feet set. Adjust your batting gloves. All that good stuff that no one did 20 years ago! Ha!

Some Umps don't like it either. We played in some tournaments where they had to keep one foot in the box after the first pitch. Loved how it moved the game along quickly.

I actually agree with not getting out of the box (in these discussions, I always imagine the batter stepping into the box for the first time in the at bat). Unless there's a good reason (a swing, a 30 mph gust of wind that blows dirt in your eyes, etc.), you really shouldn't need to step out, walk around, adjust everything (at least girls don't wear cups!), etc.

Oct 24, 2010

That's a rule for at least one code.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101