Pitching Rule -- Hand cannot be outside of the elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Several years ago I took some video of a pitcher from Boston University, a mid major D1 school, very competitive in their conference. She was a 4 year starter for them. Live you could see her delivery was unusual, in slo-mo it was very unorthodox. She bent way over to the pitching arm side and her elbow was at a 90 degree angle. She looked like a SS who picked up a slow grounder and was making the quick throw to 1st while still bent over. There are lots of ways to get it done.

Dec 18, 2016
My DD was in a tournament last year and they were facing a team out of a Canadian softball academy and their pitcher had a motion where her arm was outside her elbow. I didn't realize it was illegal but commented to the home plate ump about how it looked like it could hurt her elbow. He mentioned that it was technically an illegal pitch but she wasn't dominating anything to I think he was letting it go. It definitely messed with our hitters for a bit.

Aug 25, 2019
USA Rule 6A-E: The delivery shall be an underhand motion with the hand below the hip and the wrist not farther from the body than the elbow.

USSSA Rule 61-F2: The hand shall be below the hip and the wrist not farther from the body than the elbow.

Now I know, I'll have to call this one day when I see it, watch everyone go crazy.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
This has been the rule for at least 28 or 29 years. Don’t see it a lot, but call it when I do.....

Coach Caz

Fastpitch Junkie
Jan 16, 2014
The problem I have with this rule is related to the wrist not being further away from the body then the elbow. If this rule was enforced then no pitcher would be able to throw a curveball. There is always some flex in the elbow and since a pitcher is driving her elbow into her side, before cupping under the ball to complete the pitch. The flex in her elbow will cause her hand to be further away from her body then her elbow.

So then this rule is left for interpretation by an umpire which causes inconsistency in calling it. They have to then make a decision if she is gaining a great advantage with her motion, leaving it to be a judgement call and one that will cause disagreement and arguments to take place.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
The problem I have with this rule is related to the wrist not being further away from the body then the elbow. If this rule was enforced then no pitcher would be able to throw a curveball. There is always some flex in the elbow and since a pitcher is driving her elbow into her side, before cupping under the ball to complete the pitch. The flex in her elbow will cause her hand to be further away from her body then her elbow.

So then this rule is left for interpretation by an umpire which causes inconsistency in calling it. They have to then make a decision if she is gaining a great advantage with her motion, leaving it to be a judgement call and one that will cause disagreement and arguments to take place.

Kinda like the leap/replant rule....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee