Pitching replant (crow hop)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have been taking video of pitchers for years and, especially at the younger levels, this back foot action is very common, without video it's almost impossible to detect. Generally it's not an advantage and indicates less than ideal mechanics.

May 16, 2016
I'm glad you asked! [TMIB pulls out his portable lecturing podium]
I've seen that video floated around for years, and I've often been critical of it being used out of context. It's like only having the front of the headpiece ...

FalseHospitableBordercollie-size_restricted.gif

People tend to watch the wrong part because they are looking at the pitcher's feet. There are two points the video is making: 1) a crow hop does not have to be a literal hop -- it can happen without the foot ever leaving the ground (the drag and replant); 2) the hands are important because they cannot be together off of the pitcher's plate. The video is showing the hands together (meaning the pitch has not started) until the pivot foot illegally replants, then the hands come apart.

Breaking that down:

NFHS 2-16 defines a CROW HOP as "A crow hop is the replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. The crow hop is an illegal pitch." Even though the word "hop" is there, there is no requirement for the foot to leave the ground. Pushing off from any place other than the pitcher's plate is a crow hop, regardless of how the pitcher got there.

NFHS 6-1-2a states "The pitch starts when the pitcher's hands separate after they have come together while the pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher's plate." What the video is trying to say is that it does not matter if the pitcher slid her foot, dragged her foot, or jumped out in front of the plate, if the hands are together she has NOT started her pitch (by definition) so it is illegal to be off the pitcher's plate.

So, part (a) is about the hands (and the pivot foot), so
let's continue with rule 6-1-2 ...

Part (b) tells us what a pitcher's free foot can do: a pitcher can step backwards prior to the pitch starting (POP QUIZ: when does the pitch start?), but the step must be complete before the hands come apart. Once the hands separate, the pitcher can "take a step forward ... simultaneous with the delivery" (which would need to be with the free foot, not the pivot foot since the pivot foot cannot be replanted).

b. Any step back with the non-pivot foot must begin before the start of the pitch (6-1-2a). Once the pitch has started (the hands separate), the pitcher shall not take more than one step which must be forward, toward the batter and simultaneous with the delivery. EXCEPTION: When removing self from the pitcher’s position. (6-1-1f(2)) NOTE: “Toward” is interpreted as within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. (Figure 6-1)

Part (c) explains what the pivot foot can and cannot do, stating the pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate until the hands come apart, and then must stay in contact with the ground (with an exception for a hole/trench) when coming off.

c. The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. If a hole has been created in front of the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may be no higher than the level plane of the ground. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.
The video is pretty clear....

42 seconds into the video:

"It doesn't matter if the pitcher steps, drags or jumps in front of the plate when starting the pitch. When a pitcher is starting from in front of the plate, and not on it, a crow hop has occurred."

Now we can discuss what the video is "Trying to say" all day, or we can discuss what it ACTUALLY says.

May 16, 2016
View attachment 26996
Her pivot foot clearly on the ground about 3 feet in front of the pitcher's plate. Not legal.

Under which rule set?

NCAA. Is this a second starting point? No. Legal. Now, they might possibly get her on the "bearing weight" rule, but this is so subjective it is unenforceable IMHO.
NFHS. This is not a crow hop. Legal
USA. Did she leap or drag to this position. Drag to this position, legal. Leap to this position, illegal.

2022 USA Softball Rules Supplement page 141:

"A CROW HOP is defined as a replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. This can be done by (1) sliding the foot in front, but not in contact with, the pitcher’s plate; (2) lifting the pivot foot and stepping forward; or (3) jumping forward from the pitcher’s plate with the pivot foot prior to starting the pitch. Umpires should look at the location of the pivot foot when the hands separate, the start of the pitch. If the pivot foot is off and in front of the pitcher’s plate before the hands separate, this would be a crow hop and an illegal pitch should be called."

Gee, that is almost EXACTLY the same wording as the NFHS training video....

Oh, I see this image is from the OP. Looking at it live speed, the back foot is sliding, and she never really gets a "push". But even if she does get some push with the back foot, that does not make it illegal.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
In my judgement, not illegal.

Here she is just after her hands separate, the start of the pitch;
her pivot foot is still in contact with the pitcher’s plate. I would not consider this an infraction of USA Rule 6A-3-J, which reads “Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.”

Attachments

• 862C7A4E-1B86-4039-812C-D7EE1DA43D78.jpeg
    862C7A4E-1B86-4039-812C-D7EE1DA43D78.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 17

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Basically if she were pitching in a game, no matter which way the Umpire called it, half the crowd would be against the call and half in agreement 🤷‍♀️ people can't even agree on rules and what they're looking at 🤷‍♀️ and people get mad at umpires for the situation??!!
🎡🎪🎠

Me, I'm swinging my bat! 💥👍

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
In my judgement, not illegal.

Here she is just after her hands separate, the start of the pitch;
her pivot foot is still in contact with the pitcher’s plate. I would not consider this an infraction of USA Rule 6A-3-J, which reads “Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.”
you are right so far, that at the start of the pitch she is legal. but by the time she gets here (see image below) she is far (about 3 feet far!) from legal.
1670994789778.png

Oct 11, 2018
Are you under the impression that the pitcher must remain in contact with the rubber until after she releases the ball? Her being 3 feet in front of the pitchers plate is not in itself illegal.
No not at all. Pitcher can drag or leap away from the pitcher's plate but what I see is after her pivot foot lands, looks to me like she pushed off again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812