Pitching replant (crow hop)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2019
We had this happen to our pitcher in a tournament this fall the one ump said she was jumping or doing something illegal. He was nice he wasn't going to call it for some reason and then two hours later we playing another game and I was talking to the 1st base ump about what happened in the earlier game (he was actually the home plate ump in the first game) and he said that it was the field ump's call and that he wouldn't call it because we were playing on turf and because of that there isn't any little hole in front of the rubber where the pitcher's toe usually goes and they push off from there so he said he wasn't going to call it and not to say anything to our pitcher because it could screw her up.

Jul 27, 2021
We had this happen to our pitcher in a tournament this fall the one ump said she was jumping or doing something illegal. He was nice he wasn't going to call it for some reason and then two hours later we playing another game and I was talking to the 1st base ump about what happened in the earlier game (he was actually the home plate ump in the first game) and he said that it was the field ump's call and that he wouldn't call it because we were playing on turf and because of that there isn't any little hole in front of the rubber where the pitcher's toe usually goes and they push off from there so he said he wasn't going to call it and not to say anything to our pitcher because it could screw her up.
Soooo...no explanation from 2 umps then.

I have yet to hear a proper and convincing explanation from anyone.
How are umps going to "REALLY & FAIRLY " call illegal pitches when they are at full speed and ump attention divided with so many other aspects of the game?

Dec 6, 2019
Where would you like that foot to be??
It's not so much of where does he want it to be, as much as he doesn't think the pitcher should be allowed a 2nd push 3 feet in front of the rubber. If her body is in that position, the only way she's legal is if that trail foot is in contact with the rubber.

Sep 1, 2021
It's not so much of where does he want it to be, as much as he doesn't think the pitcher should be allowed a 2nd push 3 feet in front of the rubber. If her body is in that position, the only way she's legal is if that trail foot is in contact with the rubber.
I think plenty of pitchers get into that position without a second push, including this pitcher. She doesn't have nearly enough weight on her back foot to create a significant push. She's leaping and the back foot is landing first but that doesn't guarantee a second push.

Dec 6, 2019
I think plenty of pitchers get into that position without a second push, including this pitcher. She doesn't have nearly enough weight on her back foot to create a significant push. She's leaping and the back foot is landing first but that doesn't guarantee a second push.
I'm sorry you think that. But I also see that you acknowledge a second push, but feel that it is not "significant." Let me check my rulebook as to the importance of the "significance" of the second push.

The fact of the matter is that when the back knee is flexed and points anywhere behind the imaginary line between 1st base and 3rd base, it is absolute proof of an illegal replant. You might not think it's significant, but it is definitely real.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How does the Plate Umpire see the rear push leg/knee angle behind the pitchers front leg and body when the pitcher is striding forward throwing?

Just commenting it is difficult and there's more than feet to look at.

Feb 25, 2018
Depending on the rule set umpire mechanics, the plate and base umpire(s) “can” both call any illegal pitch infraction. In practice, though, plate usually has pitch preliminaries and base has the feet.
An exception to that would be a pitching lane infraction, as the plate umpire has the better angle for that ruling.

While assessing intent/competitive advantage isn’t explicitly part of the pitching rules, my experience as both an umpire and a spectator is that a lot of illegal pitches don’t get called. Some umpires just won’t call them, some will if the coach brings it to their attention.

The one I see (and call) the most in my part of the country is not pausing to take a sign or appearing to.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Depending on the rule set umpire mechanics, the plate and base umpire(s) “can” both call any illegal pitch infraction. In practice, though, plate usually has pitch preliminaries and base has the feet.
An exception to that would be a pitching lane infraction, as the plate umpire has the better angle for that ruling.

While assessing intent/competitive advantage isn’t explicitly part of the pitching rules, my experience as both an umpire and a spectator is that a lot of illegal pitches don’t get called. Some umpires just won’t call them, some will if the coach brings it to their attention.

The one I see (and call) the most in my part of the country is not pausing to take a sign or appearing to.
Can you share feedback on if there's only one umpire? Thanks

Hmmm thinking probably only half games have two umpires.
Seems Never at Friendly's. 🤷‍♀️

Feb 25, 2018
Can you share feedback on if there's only one umpire? Thanks

Hmmm thinking probably only half games have two umpires.
Seems Never at Friendly's. 🤷‍♀️
In my training, I was taught that working solo my priority is pre-pitch preliminaries and then focus on the pitch (ball or strike). Very difficult to split your attention between feet and the pitch.

I’ve never called a foot infraction working by myself. I’m in season 6, so still early days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee