Pitching practice without a home plate ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
If the catcher does not move, what does it matter if there is a plate or not?
Because In a game there’s an ump calling balls and strikes based on a plate and there a batter that should be swinging at pitches based in part on a plate and the strike zone as well. So I find it odd practicing pitching without Using one. Just an honest question about practice habits and seeing if anyone has ever noticed a difference in their DD in game pitching using a plate vs not using one in their practice sessions.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That’s great if your catcher moves around. What If her catcher sets up middle of plate on EVERY pitch ?? You’ve conditioned her to hit the glove and that’s it.

The pitcher needs to have a conversation with the catcher.

What level is this? We play at a pretty low level of rec, and we still have our catchers set up inside/outside (whether the pitchers can hit those spots is another story).

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
North Star I like that and agree. I also think a plate is as much for the catcher then it is the pitcher. How can you work on hitting each half of the plate if there’s no plate ??? How are you determining if she’s a ball off the corner or 3 ??

If that’s the specific thing you’re working on....then use a plate. But a plate doesn’t have to be an every practice thing unless you want it to be.

Most catchers (whether on a bucket or not) knees will setup at the edges of a plate. So even if you don’t have one the knees are a great reference.

We only use a plate if we’re focusing on throwing off of it. I’ll setup 2 or 3 balls off each edge. We’ll work our way out and then back in for each side. Outside of that....I encourage her to pick body parts or the glove.

Sep 19, 2018
You can buy a floppy white rubber plate at DSG for $20. Roll it up and throw it in your bucket. I am not suggesting you should NOT buy one. But not having a plate should not mean a catcher doesn't know what is inside or outside or that pitcher can't hit the catchers mitt. I never found it a detriment to practice. Frankly, by 9yo my dd did not need a plate to know if she threw a strike or not.

Nov 15, 2019
The pitcher needs to have a conversation with the catcher.

What level is this? We play at a pretty low level of rec, and we still have our catchers set up inside/outside (whether the pitchers can hit those spots is another story).
She’s 12u probably B level travel. But I think people are missing the point as it’s more of a general question. I personally rarely don’t use a plate. Why because I find ( and I have found this warming up other girls she has played with not just my DD) that no plate is like a pass fail test. You either hit the glove or you didn’t. But just because she missed the glove doesn’t mean it’s a bad pitch. But my experience often that’s how a 10,11, 12 year thinks of it. With the plate I find it’s easier for them to be self aware that ok I missed my target but I missed in a good spot or I missed but that might still have called a strike. I find no plate of any kind and it’s much harder for girls that age to realize that.

May 6, 2015
I have used a glove, bucket lid, piece of cardboard, etc. if the P does not know, the coach/instructor certainly does, and so does the C once you hit about 12u TB.

Oct 4, 2018
You can buy a floppy white rubber plate at DSG for $20. Roll it up and throw it in your bucket. I am not suggesting you should NOT buy one. But not having a plate should not mean a catcher doesn't know what is inside or outside or that pitcher can't hit the catchers mitt. I never found it a detriment to practice. Frankly, by 9yo my dd did not need a plate to know if she threw a strike or not.

Exactly. If there's a pitching rubber and a plate nearby, of course we use that to practice. And we have that set up at home.

But trust me, you'll often be at places where there's not a plate:

1. Warming up in the outfield/between fields, the playground by the parking lot, etc.
2. Before practice when another pitcher is using the mound.
3. After a lesson when you want to immediately work on what you learned before it wears off.
4. On a vacation
5. At a friend's house

But the biggest reason has been mentioned many times. During a game she often won't be able to see the plate. Don't make her dependent on one based on some notion you have.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We utilized a portable plate for every pitching practice through 12u. At 14u we started working without it. The focus was strictly on the glove. She is currently a junior in college and we have not used our portable plate in over 6 years. We do practice at her old high school field throughout the summer and use home plate then. Otherwise it really doesn't matter.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Actually homeplate is there to: Allow runners to score/be called out, Allow umpires to call balls and strikes, fair or foul, and allow the batter/catcher to position themself. The pitcher should be concentrating on the catcher's target.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't know why you wouldn't use one if it's available but you can practice without if one isn't available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28