Pitching philosophy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
As a new team, you need to get all of your pitchers some innings, that's what pool play is for. If you know that you have one pitcher who can carry you through the bracket, don't waste her arm on too many pool games.

Sounds like you have five parents who are looking for their girls to get some circle time. Pool games in the fall are where you're going to figure out who your top three are, don't waste time giving one girl too many innings if you already know what her role is going to be.

DD pitched a dozen innings (in 14 games) last fall because the coaches knew where she would slot in. When spring came, she pitched more than half the team's innings.

Jul 27, 2015
So, we are a new 12u team. We had our first tournament last weekend. We did better than fair for our first outing... Here is where I need some advice: I have one pitcher who is pretty dominant. Pitched her the first game, won easily. started another girl for game 2, we spotted them 5 runs, put dominant pitcher back in and we finished (pool play) in a tie. Started dominant pitcher in 3rd game, but after the first inning she was gassed. She had been sick earlier in the week, so that could have played a part in her stamina. Would I have been better off to throw some of my lesser pitchers in pool play, risk a lower seed and save my intended starter for bracket play?

Pitcher's dad here. We have been on teams where my girl was the star pitcher and teams where she was not.

Based on what you wrote, you have 2 decent and 1 stud pitcher. Yet it reads like you were planning to go with your stud for 2.5 of the 3 pool games? Then of course you were going to ride the stud in bracket play. Besides being crazy, that is a recipe for one, or both, of your decent pitchers to be looking for a new team ASAP. Who wants to sit the bench while watch the stud pitcher get all the innings?

My opinion, for what it is worth, give them all a game in pool play. That will keep your best 3 pitchers at least in the game. It should have our stud pitcher more rested for bracket play. I may or may not have seen coaches go all out to win the "elusive" pool bracket only to go out in the first round the next day due to tired pitchers.

I am so against teams that just ride their stud pitcher all weekend long, week after week, at the long-term expense of that pitcher's arm. How many girls were great pitchers and had their futures cut short by a coach who wore them out.

I always made it a point to avoid teams that rode the star pitcher for this very reason.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Would I have been better off to throw some of my lesser pitchers in pool play, risk a lower seed and save my intended starter for bracket play?

You are coaching a 12U team. Your main purpose is to develop players. So, yes, you have to throw your #2 and #3 pitcher in pool play.

Obviously, your plan is to ride #1 for as long as possible in the tournament.

In pool play, I would have thrown #1 for one game. Then, #2 for a game, and then #3 for a game.

I agree with @gator5. Like gator, my DD was either the #1 or the #2 on TB teams.

If my DD was the #1, I did not want her to pitch 3 games on Saturday and then another 3 or 4 on Sunday. If my DD was the #2 pitcher, I definitely wanted her to pitch on Saturday so she could get better.

RCR

Mar 8, 2019
Pitcher's dad here. We have been on teams where my girl was the star pitcher and teams where she was not.

Based on what you wrote, you have 2 decent and 1 stud pitcher. Yet it reads like you were planning to go with your stud for 2.5 of the 3 pool games? Then of course you were going to ride the stud in bracket play. Besides being crazy, that is a recipe for one, or both, of your decent pitchers to be looking for a new team ASAP. Who wants to sit the bench while watch the stud pitcher get all the innings?

My opinion, for what it is worth, give them all a game in pool play. That will keep your best 3 pitchers at least in the game. It should have our stud pitcher more rested for bracket play. I may or may not have seen coaches go all out to win the "elusive" pool bracket only to go out in the first round the next day due to tired pitchers.

I am so against teams that just ride their stud pitcher all weekend long, week after week, at the long-term expense of that pitcher's arm. How many girls were great pitchers and had their futures cut short by a coach who wore them out.

I always made it a point to avoid teams that rode the star pitcher for this very reason.
I see what you are saying...and I agree. This was our first tournament together and as such, I wanted to set the tone with a couple of wins early. I don't intend to ride one pitcher to death at all. Perhaps my phrasing was poor...I should have asked how much pool play matters and how should I best balance pool play and pitching.

May 20, 2016
In reality at 12U pool play doesn't matter a whole bunch. Obviously you don't want to be the bottom seed and face the #1 first thing. But really now is the time for everyone to get some work. Don't want to burn the #1 on pool play.

May 6, 2015
I see what you are saying...and I agree. This was our first tournament together and as such, I wanted to set the tone with a couple of wins early. I don't intend to ride one pitcher to death at all. Perhaps my phrasing was poor...I should have asked how much pool play matters and how should I best balance pool play and pitching.
I would worry more about the tone set by giving most of the pool circle time to one pitcher. above was correct, 12u is for player development, and in reality, all travel ball really should be, up to showcase, and their, it is about showcasing, not necessarily winning either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101