pitching mechanic for windmill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Honestly that video is the most ridulcious thing I’ve ever seen. What a terrible motion.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Pitching from the stretch" was a drill that was used "back in the day" as part of the pitching progression. My DD was consistently 3 to 5 mph slower when she did the drill.

Basically, pitching from the stretch eliminates the lower body.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z4WQsaiPLE0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm not at all sure a study about leg drive in baseball is instructive about softball pitching. Baseball pitching involves rotation of the arm around the body, while softball pitching involves rotating the arm parallel to the body.

Dec 21, 2018
"Pitching from the stretch" was a drill that was used "back in the day" as part of the pitching progression. My DD was consistently 3 to 5 mph slower when she did the drill.

Basically, pitching from the stretch eliminates the lower body.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z4WQsaiPLE0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm not at all sure a study about leg drive in baseball is instructive about softball pitching. Baseball pitching involves rotation of the arm around the body, while softball pitching involves rotating the arm parallel to the body.

Thank you for your interesting objections to my proposal on Windmill mechanics. As a last intervention I show you a slide of comparison between the two start from the rubber by two pitchers in very different situations. My goal was also to allow a softball pitcher to use the set position as in baseball do. I believe that this approach, making the appropriate variations in training, will make it easier, faster and more effective to learn the Windmill mechanics. Merry Xmas to all of you

Schermata 2018-12-24 alle 15.35.45.jpg

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
On of the basic constructs of pitching is that you need to get the force going toward home plate. Anything not headed toward the plate is wasted motion and lost energy. So why would you start with your body turned sideways? This is the stuff people come up with who have never thrown a pitch. The kid from Auburn is Jenna Abbott who when Auburn was desperate for pitchers returned to the circle after not pitching for 2 - 3 years. IIRC she had an injury and this is what Corey came up with as a solution. He was an idiot both on and off the field and this motion along with anything Myers is best to be forgotten.

Wasn't Cory Myers fired for hooking up with players?!?! What a piece of $hit

Nov 18, 2013
Thank you for your interesting objections to my proposal on Windmill mechanics. As a last intervention I show you a slide of comparison between the two start from the rubber by two pitchers in very different situations. My goal was also to allow a softball pitcher to use the set position as in baseball do. I believe that this approach, making the appropriate variations in training, will make it easier, faster and more effective to learn the Windmill mechanics. Merry Xmas to all of you

It can't be easy posting when English isn't your first language and your opinions go against conventional wisdom. It is interesting hearing things from an international perspective. Thank you and have a happy new year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

View attachment 13563

If you are going to select an example of a Pitcher in a Game you would do well to pick someone who is successful due in large part to great mechanics. Not someone who found success despite having very poor mechanics.

Dec 21, 2018
It can't be easy posting when English isn't your first language and your opinions go against conventional wisdom. It is interesting hearing things from an international perspective. Thank you and have a happy new year.
It is true starting from the rubber is a traditional and wise position. I know her since 1953, but why not ask yourself a few more questions to find new ways to make the formation of a pitcher easier especially for the male category. Have you ever tried it if there is a lot of difference between Front Windmill and Side Windmill? Thanks if you can answer me.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I have tried both and starting from the forward facing position is significantly more powerful/efficient. My hope is that your curiosity is strictly hypothetical and that anyone you suggest this to is given an opportunity to voice their opinion and that you respect that. If you know of any instructors or college level pitchers in your area, I would suggest discussing your curiosity about this method with them and be open to their experience. Experimentation is wonderful--just make sure you test everything thoroughly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28