pitching mechanic for windmill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
The biomechanics of a baseball pitch and the biomechanics of a softball pitch are not that similar.

Taking a study pertaining to baseball pitchers and thinking it will apply to softball pitchers is inaccurate at best.

Mar 13, 2010
lately (sep or oct 2017) in the meeting in Botswana the rule has changed, perhaps for men, I do not remember if even for women

Internationally the rules have changed. You only need to start with your front foot on the plate now. Not the back foot. People are starting to have WIFE stances. Personally I find it weird, but I just do what’s comfortable for me. I’m not sure if having the super wide stance helps.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
The biomechanics of a baseball pitch and the biomechanics of a softball pitch are not that similar.

Taking a study pertaining to baseball pitchers and thinking it will apply to softball pitchers is inaccurate at best.

I agree.

Also the "less to screw up"....the picture shows there is alot more to screw up with hips and posture doing this.

It is interesting someone is or has tried this.

Dec 21, 2018
pitching mechanics for windmill

In one of my previous messages I remembered that there is a difference between baseball mechanics and softball mechanics. I know very well. But let's concentrate on the mechanics of the set position. In Baseball the pitcher separates the hands, then the throwing arm goes downwards and then upwards and finally throws the ball. In softball instead the pitcher has the opportunity to rotate the throwing arm much faster than the baseball pitcher's arm. There is another aspect that I think is useful, starting from the set position the softball pitcher reaches a release point of the ball more advanced than a front start. So the hitter has less time to react.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
There is another aspect that I think is useful, starting from the set position the softball pitcher reaches a release point of the ball more advanced than a front start. So the hitter has less time to react.

How, exactly, does this happen when there is much less drive?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
On of the basic constructs of pitching is that you need to get the force going toward home plate. Anything not headed toward the plate is wasted motion and lost energy. So why would you start with your body turned sideways? This is the stuff people come up with who have never thrown a pitch. The kid from Auburn is Jenna Abbott who when Auburn was desperate for pitchers returned to the circle after not pitching for 2 - 3 years. IIRC she had an injury and this is what Corey came up with as a solution. He was an idiot both on and off the field and this motion along with anything Myers is best to be forgotten.

Apr 12, 2015
In one of my previous messages I remembered that there is a difference between baseball mechanics and softball mechanics. I know very well. But let's concentrate on the mechanics of the set position. In Baseball the pitcher separates the hands, then the throwing arm goes downwards and then upwards and finally throws the ball. In softball instead the pitcher has the opportunity to rotate the throwing arm much faster than the baseball pitcher's arm. There is another aspect that I think is useful, starting from the set position the softball pitcher reaches a release point of the ball more advanced than a front start. So the hitter has less time to react.

The idea of your premise....that this would somehow give the pitcher advantage while having little to no negative effects....is flawed and incorrect.

Edited to add: You are overlooking one key component and difference between baseball pitchers and softball pitchers - the leg drive. Leg drive is much less important in baseball than in softball simply because baseball pitchers already establish forward momentum be simply stepping forward. They are pitching downhill in essence and thus don't need as much leg drive to generate power.

Windups in both sports are largely up to the individual style of the pitcher, but both share the same purpose - to put the body in a position to start the pitch. In baseball this is basically what you are calling the set position. In softball, it is the thrusting H position, or sprinter's pose.

Your premise fails on one simple point: Starting from the set position in baseball it is still possible for the pitcher to be in an efficient and powerful pose to deliver the pitch. Starting in the set position in softball makes it impossible to be in an efficient and powerful pose to deliver the pitch.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018
How, exactly, does this happen when there is much less drive?

Are you sure there's less push? Well then all the baseball pitchers from the set position have less push and therefore a weaker throw. This is not true, it is not lost in speed on pitch (publmed.gov study). After having separated your hands the Windimill mechanic allows you to rotate the pitching arm more faster than the arm of a Baseball pitcher. Another aspect using the softball set position, you start with your front foot at least 50cm (sorry for cm) more forward than the front starting position.(close hip). With set position you land more close to the hitter
And now few words to get force from the rubber. Remember the mechanics of the high jumpers. They can get to jump from 2 meters to 2 meters and 40 cm. At this stage everything depends by explosiveness level of the pitcher, which can be trained.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Are you sure there's less push? Well then all the baseball pitchers from the set position have less push and therefore a weaker throw. This is not true, it is not lost in speed on pitch (publmed.gov study). After having separated your hands the Windimill mechanic allows you to rotate the pitching arm more faster than the arm of a Baseball pitcher. Another aspect using the softball set position, you start with your front foot at least 50cm (sorry for cm) more forward than the front starting position.(close hip). With set position you land more close to the hitter
And now few words to get force from the rubber. Remember the mechanics of the high jumpers. They can get to jump from 2 meters to 2 meters and 40 cm. At this stage everything depends by explosiveness level of the pitcher, which can be trained.

I said drive, not push. And I believe there's a difference (and the fact you said "push" really indicates you don't understand what softball pitchers are doing).

Let's ask another question: If starting from the "set" position is better, why don't sprinters start sideways before exploding forward?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802