Pitching matt advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2019
I’m looking to purchase or even possibly make a pitching matt for my daughter. As for the manufactured ones is there and you recommended or advise me to avoid?

I’ve researched the diy stall matt with a glued down pitchers plate. For those of you using this is it serving you well?
Any other diy ideas I might be missing?

Jun 30, 2021
Not sure how old your daughter is. I have a 15 year old that pitches. I bought a stall mat, painted a nice centerline, and used a nail down rubber. Everything stays in place and it has worked well so far.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I went to Tractor Supply and had them cut me a 9 foot piece of stall mat. Gorilla glued the plate on and taped a power line. It is still going strong after 3 years. Obviously this is not really mobile.

Highly recommend 9 feet to accommodate the stride length as she gets older.

Oct 23, 2019
I also went the tractor supply stall mat route. My tractor supply only had them in precut lengths (4 or 5 foot?) that I had to join together. In addition to not being mobile, it will have a strong smell for while. Something to keep in mind if you plan on using indoors.

Jun 22, 2019
Not sure how old your daughter is. I have a 15 year old that pitches. I bought a stall mat, painted a nice centerline, and used a nail down rubber. Everything stays in place and it has worked well so far.

I did the same thing it’s been up for 4-5 yrs now with no problems.

Oct 4, 2018
I live on a horse farm, so stall mat was the way to go (and we have several laying around).

Ours is about 5 feet long, so she actually lands in clay but most of the drag is on the mat. I kind of like that solution, but I don't think it's any better (or worse) than a longer mat.

I did bury the mat under clay, so you really aren't seeing too much of it. We sunk the mound into the clay with the spikes that come with the mound.

We're at about 3 years and everything perfectly fine and working well.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I bought a 3x10 turf mat through USATurfProfessionals. Included plate and power line markings. It has a 5mm pad with rubber bottom. Doesn’t slip at all. I’ve even had it out on dirt. But it is on the heavier side once it’s all rolled up.

We got it on sale at a price it would have cost me to buy materials and make my own. 3 years later it’s still going strong. Only downside is the turf top wrecks the toes of shoes/cleats. It almost acts as sand paper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812