Pitching machines about Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
We had a dad (worthless dude) who set the machine at 60mph for his 10U daughter and bragged about it, posted things on facebook, etc.

Top pitching speed we ever saw was 48 or so. His daughter couldn't hit. Still can't.

Oct 4, 2018
HS ball is the only place I've ever been around a machine, and I can honestly say I've never once, ever, had a positive experience with one!

Anna's college coach used to set their machine at 66/67 and to throw only a low outside pitch, then lose her stupid mind when no one could hit the ball?

Not a fan at all. If I couldn't hit outfield fly balls myself, I could see where someone would use one for outfield practice, but even then.....

We had a goofy coach one year who set it super high for tryouts. We would laugh and laugh about how he picked girls based on who looked better striking out.

Oct 4, 2018
There was a team we played away last season in MS who we played tight to the end. They were basically right at our level. Slightly better defense, but we had the better pitcher. Neither team could consistently make contact after the #4 hitter.

They came to our place a month later and beat the absolute crap out of the ball. 16 hits. Legit, mostly line drives. It was brutal. The only other team that hit us like that had a bunch of corn-fed "7th graders."

So after the game I asked the coach where that display came from. He said "We had staight rain-outs for almost four weeks. So after that first week I put them in the gym and set the machine on 50, and that's about all we did until today."

So...I guess my answer, for MS, would be 50.

Our #1 pitcher, despite what she's been told, really only has one pitch, and she's very good at it. Fastball, right down the middle. I'll give you three guesses on the speed...

For HS, based on what I've seen around here, I'd set it between 55 and 60. I believe the machine is a great tool, and especially when you don't have a stable of pitchers to throw BP.

50?

Jan 25, 2022

You got a lot of faster MS pitchers? We've never faced one throwing more than MAAAYBE 55. Aside from a catholic school at a tournament. 8th grader verified 61. We sent her 9 batters. She struck out 8 on 24 pitches, and one was thrown out on junk contact. And she was probably a 9th grader held back. That whole team looked like linebackers.

Sep 19, 2018
Last winter we used it for bunting practice. 2nd year 12U. set it to 50. we did not use real balls. They were a heavy foam and would run all over the place.

Oct 26, 2019
I have seen kids hit well in games that could not hit off a machine. I don’t think I have ever seen a kid who can hit the machine well who doesn’t hit well in games. Take that for what you will.

The key to the machine is to make an adjustment (an important part of hitting). The front foot better be down and you better be in launch position bet the pitch comes out of the machine. You also also have to be pretty on top of the ball since the one wheeled machines throw pure backspin (essentially a rise).

I’m short - kids are usually late and under the machine when it’s cranked up.

Sep 7, 2022
New to the softball world. Plan on putting the DD on a machine once a week. What speed would one suggest for an 8yo? Ty

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812