Pitching Machine Power Options

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2016
I was looking to get a Jugs Jr machine and found a great deal on one, however my league has no power outlets and buying and lugging around a generator is too expensive and not practical. I know that Jugs makes a battery pack for some of their lower models. Does anyone know of any options like that or has anyone had to get creative for power sources for pitching machines !! I would appreciate any advice.

Oct 16, 2014
I've heard of some guys using a deep cycle marine battery and a power inverter to power them. Probably looking at $250-$300 to get it running. I've heard they'll run for @ 4hrs on a charge. To me its almost just as easy to get a small suitcase/ inverter style generator.

Oct 2, 2015
A Jugs 2-wheels machine is $2400
The portable battery charger is $590
For a total of ~$3000.

First pitch sells a 2 wheels softball pitching machine for $1600. $800 cheaper than the Jugs 2-wheeled machine is what sold me.
We've had one for 1 year now. Bought it to get the DDs used to faster pitches that they normally wouldn't see from actual pitchers around here.
It has worked great for us.
Honda sells a portable generator for $900.
Your total would be $2500.

Feb 12, 2014
There is a guy and his daughter that are often at the park hitting at the same time my DD and I go over during the summer. He somehow hooks his machine up to his car and powers it that way. I have no idea how it works, but it looks pretty cool.

Oct 2, 2015
There is a guy and his daughter that are often at the park hitting at the same time my DD and I go over during the summer. He somehow hooks his machine up to his car and powers it that way. I have no idea how it works, but it looks pretty cool.

That's awesome!

I didn't realize there was an inverter that would allow a car to power a motor that large...Was the car running the whole time they were using the machine?

Jun 18, 2010
Check out page 3 of this thread: Jugs Jr speed controller

I have a battery and inverter in a "Job Box" picked up at HD or Lowes:

d8d9c9a8-87b9-4616-a0f1-0a5bee73ef3c_zpscb50312b.jpg

ScottyDont - that generator is a GREAT option, but how much did it cost? In total, with all new parts, the battery setup cost me about $225. This includes $90 for the deep cell battery, 70 for the inverter, 25 for the hand truck, and another 10 for miscellaneous (wire, screws, and connectors).

View attachment 5073View attachment 5074

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
That's awesome!

I didn't realize there was an inverter that would allow a car to power a motor that large...Was the car running the whole time they were using the machine?

Slugger - I can't remember for sure. I know the hood's up and the cord runs from the machine to the battery. I'll ask DD after school today to see if she remembers whether or not the car was running. I don't think so, but I'm far from certain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812