Pitching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2010
A few years ago, someone posted this advice::
"Go to Pauly Girl Fastpitch and purchase a video analysis. Best $50 I've spent in a while. 1 Hour Skype session with tools sent after.
Rick is an incredible instructor. " (paulygirlfastpitch.com)

I didn't follow up but every review I read about the Pauly video analysis was positive.

I can confirm from personal experience that Rick Pauly is a superb instructor.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD can learn the basics of pitching. And just being able to throw the ball over the plate can be a lot of fun pitching in rec ball and low level TB.

However: Your DD can't learn a breaking pitch or a change-up online. The actual mechanics are too complex. And, it helps to have someone in person telling you, "For her to be good, she needs to throw 3 to 4 times a week for one hour for several years."

As some point, your DD will need live instruction if your DD wants to play at a high level. An experienced PC can't be replaced.

Aug 21, 2008
A few years ago, someone posted this advice::
"Go to Pauly Girl Fastpitch and purchase a video analysis. Best $50 I've spent in a while. 1 Hour Skype session with tools sent after.
Rick is an incredible instructor. " (paulygirlfastpitch.com)

I didn't follow up but every review I read about the Pauly video analysis was positive.

I can confirm from personal experience that Rick Pauly is a superb instructor.
Maybe so, but he's been known to superglue bricks onto the backs of turtles so they can't get up to get air and drown. Be careful who you're dealing with!!! LOL

Aug 21, 2008
Lest anyone think I'm serious about Rick, he and I get along well and a great guy.

I do online stuff too but, I do it differently. I don't have courses like Rick does and Amanda Scarborough. What I do is have people send me videos of their kid pitching, then I break the video down for them telling them what I see, what I think should change and what ABSOLUTELY needs to be changed. I send these instructions back in a video of my own where I show on the video what I'm talking about, this way you get to hear what I'm saying and see it live on the video.

When the Pandemic hit, A LOT of pitching coaches were put out of work at facilities due to closures. So, many had to reinvent themselves online by doing virutual lessons. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to do a good virtual lesson!! There's so many things I need to see and I didn't think there'd be a way to get multiple camera angles to see what I'd need to. Moreover, sooooo much of what I do for corrections on pitchers has to do with how their ball spins which is why I always catch a portion of each student's lesson so I can see the ball that way. I don't know about others but, I cannot see the ball rotation on a video! So it's hard to give a definitive answer on what is going on with the pitcher. For sure, you could use a ball with a line but that pretty much tells you if the spin is perfect. It doesn't show exactly what's wrong when the spin isn't perfect. And lets be honest, how many have a riseball where the line is 100% straight 6/12 rotation?

In full disclosure, living in Nebraska now was amazing during the Pandemic. A deep "red state", there was places in Nebraska that didn't even know there was a virus going around!!! NO masks, no closures, nothing. So I was not effected at all by it. In fact, I picked up students who went to various places previously and had to leave because their coach stopped lessons for a variety of reasons, i.e. their facilities closed, worried about the virus from pre-existing conditions, etc. So anyway, I called Amanda and a few others I knew were doing online lessons to ask how they were doing it and they all said they have the same issues that I was worried about, they just do the best they can with them. But I think those "virtual lessons" were different than their online programs. So I was back to square one and just decided to do the video lessons this way: send me a video, and I send you one back.

Anyway, I think the OP should know there's online courses like Amanda's, Rick's, etc. and then there's online lessons, which may vary from coach to coach. So that's how I did (and still do) mine.

Jun 19, 2013
To the OP I would think that on-line could work best if you could at least see the coach periodically in person and then send them videos like what Bill is referring to above. If she is just starting out and you don't have that option then you can learn to be her #1 pitching coach on here and then supplement with one of the awesome coaching resources you will meet here!!

Apr 30, 2018
Lest anyone think I'm serious about Rick, he and I get along well and a great guy.

I do online stuff too but, I do it differently. I don't have courses like Rick does and Amanda Scarborough. What I do is have people send me videos of their kid pitching, then I break the video down for them telling them what I see, what I think should change and what ABSOLUTELY needs to be changed. I send these instructions back in a video of my own where I show on the video what I'm talking about, this way you get to hear what I'm saying and see it live on the video.

When the Pandemic hit, A LOT of pitching coaches were put out of work at facilities due to closures. So, many had to reinvent themselves online by doing virutual lessons. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to do a good virtual lesson!! There's so many things I need to see and I didn't think there'd be a way to get multiple camera angles to see what I'd need to. Moreover, sooooo much of what I do for corrections on pitchers has to do with how their ball spins which is why I always catch a portion of each student's lesson so I can see the ball that way. I don't know about others but, I cannot see the ball rotation on a video! So it's hard to give a definitive answer on what is going on with the pitcher. For sure, you could use a ball with a line but that pretty much tells you if the spin is perfect. It doesn't show exactly what's wrong when the spin isn't perfect. And lets be honest, how many have a riseball where the line is 100% straight 6/12 rotation?

In full disclosure, living in Nebraska now was amazing during the Pandemic. A deep "red state", there was places in Nebraska that didn't even know there was a virus going around!!! NO masks, no closures, nothing. So I was not effected at all by it. In fact, I picked up students who went to various places previously and had to leave because their coach stopped lessons for a variety of reasons, i.e. their facilities closed, worried about the virus from pre-existing conditions, etc. So anyway, I called Amanda and a few others I knew were doing online lessons to ask how they were doing it and they all said they have the same issues that I was worried about, they just do the best they can with them. But I think those "virtual lessons" were different than their online programs. So I was back to square one and just decided to do the video lessons this way: send me a video, and I send you one back.

Anyway, I think the OP should know there's online courses like Amanda's, Rick's, etc. and then there's online lessons, which may vary from coach to coach. So that's how I did (and still do) mine.

What would the cost be for your video analysis?

May 17, 2012
What would the cost be for your video analysis?

It's a steal no matter what it is. As someone who seeks out best practices in all phases of the game, it is rare to find someone that played at a high level and can teach at a high level. Seek out his instruction any way you can.

Just my unsolicited opinion...

Aug 21, 2008
It's a steal no matter what it is. As someone who seeks out best practices in all phases of the game, it is rare to find someone that played at a high level and can teach at a high level. Seek out his instruction any way you can.

Just my unsolicited opinion...
Thanks, I'll send you the endorsement fee in a few hours.

@flogzilla .... my price just went up after Gunner's reply. Apparently I've been undervaluing myself. I'll have to rethink my pricing!!!! lol.

When I do 1-1 lessons, I charge $100 for the hour which typically includes the fee I have to pay the facility. But for the video stuff, I've been charging $75. I didn't think it was right to charge the same amount since video lessons aren't quite as good as the real thing. But, it does take almost the same amount of time to watch the videos sent to me multiple times, take notes, get my girlfriend to film a video of what to work on, upload the video and then send it.

I don't remember if it was in this thread or a PM but, someone had asked if I'm taking new remote students, yes I am. I have room for plenty of those since I can do them whenever. It's a little more tricky to get on my weekly schedule. Although having said that........ I do get people who drive/fly into Omaha over a weekend for lessons somewhat regularly. Anyone who wants to do that is always welcome too. You can PM me here, I'll do better at logging in and checking messages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812