Pitching Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Welcome! You're obviously a very accomplished pitcher.

We have some unique terminology which helps newbie parents understand the pitching motion.

Internal rotation is simply pronating the forearm during release. The term "internal rotation" is the correct anatomical description of the movement. (@BoardMember is the guy who laid it all out. His "IR in the classroom" thread is fantastic.).

I found some video of you. You have good "front side resistance" (your don't step forward after release). Your FSR reminds me of Baylor's Whitney Canion. [@Rick Pauly (Sarah's father) gets credit for teaching FSR to us. ]

You have good "brush interference" (your arm makes contact with the side of your body prior to release.) [Rick Pauly is the guy who explained this concept.]

You are the poster child for good posture.

Your change-up looks fantastic.

Srheebner

Savannah Heebner
Aug 15, 2019
Houston Tx
Welcome! You're obviously a very accomplished pitcher.

We have some unique terminology which helps newbie parents understand the pitching motion.

Internal rotation is simply pronating the forearm during release. The term "internal rotation" is the correct anatomical description of the movement. (@BoardMember is the guy who laid it all out. His "IR in the classroom" thread is fantastic.).

I found some video of you. You have good "front side resistance" (your don't step forward after release). Your FSR reminds me of Baylor's Whitney Canion. [@Rick Pauly (Sarah's father) gets credit for teaching FSR to us. ]

You have good "brush interference" (your arm makes contact with the side of your body prior to release.) [Rick Pauly is the guy who explained this concept.]

You are the poster child for good posture.

Your change-up looks fantastic.

View attachment 14860View attachment 14861

Thank you for the compliment, my mom wouldn't agree about me having good posture though. Good thing we are talking about pitching posture haha.

May 29, 2015
Welcome Savannah! We have a few players here who give us great perspective on more than just pitching! Hopefully you stick around and become a regular contributor.

Can I offer one piece of non-technical pitching advice as you start to teach pitching lessons? Take some time to learn the rules of pitching in the different organizations and work with your students to make sure they learn them.

Most pitching coaches work on mechanics, speed, learning pitches, etc. Not very many work with their students on learning the rules of the game and making sure they are pitching legally. Players are missing many of the simple things such as how to step on the pitcher’s plate, when the hands can come together/come apart, and keeping the drag foot legal.

I watched it all summer long, even in state tournaments. In the last week I have umpired four middle school softball games and have had only one pitcher that did not consistently throw illegal pitches due to violating basic fundamentals.

Jul 9, 2016
I didn't realize that you are a player.

You may have seen an old man taking video and shooting pictures of all the pitchers in the warm up area.

I was asked to leave because I didn't have a Media Pass / my Camera and Video Recorder were not allowed......

I put those away and came back with cell phone which was allowed....

Pretty sure I have some footage of you and most of the pictures on your team.

I know you all are professionals and have different rule sets vs High School Pitching rules.

Just noticed I got you in the Circle for a couple of video pitches.

If you don't mind I will share with this group.

My daughter is just entering Freshman High School as a pitcher.

Dec 1, 2019
Hello Everyone, I will be starting pitching lessons come this fall in Houston, Tx. Message me if you are interested
Good Morning
My DD is currently 12 years old and has been pitching for almost 1 year. We currently see a pitching coach here in Kansas City and have been for the last 10 months. I’m sure you probably remember the days of when balls didn’t hit the spot you wanted or when you couldn’t get that 50mph you were looking for.
The form, and approach we use is the IR method, from someone that has studied with Denny Tincher.

I don’t like to do this normally, posting video of my DD but I would welcome your opinion on things that can be done to help capture some free speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee