pitching lane redo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I'm re-doing DD's pitching lane. I'm looking for what specific kind of material (dirt, sand, clay?) to use in the circle area and batter's box (where we work on hitting). Our ground has about 2" of top dirt and then goes to a stoney layer of glacial detritus. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2015
From the product description:
This baseball clay is outstanding packing clay for pitching mounds and home plate areas. If you have some wet areas due to heavy rain and flooding, lay down this clay and you will have dry areas immediately.

Maybe this was written by a marketing intern, but this doesn't make sense. Are they selling clay bricks (packing clay) for a mound/batters box, or are they selling an absorbent like Turface's Gamesaver? As you're probably aware, Gamesaver is basically a dust. Regular Turface is granular, and by no means "packable", while the clay bricks that I've seen are just that - giant bricks of clay. If the stuff in the bag is really "packable", then don't expect it to be absorbent. Unless they're being intentionally vague - sure, pile enough dirt into a puddle, and it will "dry out" b/c the new dirt has pushed out the water But maybe this is some wonder product? Which could explain the $25-30 retail price. (Turface / Gamesaver is usually $15-20/bag)

I'd go with artificial turf in the batters box, and for the pitching area, dig out the ice age leftovers and put in the clay bricks, with a top dressing of the dirt mix that's in the bag or a soil + turface mix.

Maybe add a few bricks to the landing area as well so that doesn't wear out as quickly?

Aug 20, 2017
Call your local sand/gravel distributor and ask about their infield mix. IMO you want a slightly higher clay content for a pitching lane due to the wear on the dirt. Get a truck load and till it in about 3 inches. Then tamp the fool out of it. Once it’s level add a top layer of calcined clay (field conditioner) to get the water to run off. Done this a few times building bull pens. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478