Pitching injury help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
I would check ball path in the circle. Brush/trigger is a good thing but you can trap your arm to much. Mush have some brush IMO

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I’ve come across to injury’s recently, one that’s somewhat common the second I’ve never seen before.

The first: pitchers elbow continues to hit the hip at IR causing severe bruising and pain. Two things that I see are that she swims with her glove and swings her but out to open her hips instead of doing it naturally during her stride. I’m looking for help on what causes it and best approach to fix it.

The second: After pitching, her throwing hand really swells up, and it becomes quite painful especially around the thumb inside the palm area. She is 14, and throws 58-61, generating a lot of arm speed and whip. Has anyone ever come access this?
Heard somewhere there is a some sort of pump in the forearm that assists in getting blood getting from the hand. If true, is it being damaged?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I’ve come across to injury’s recently, one that’s somewhat common the second I’ve never seen before.

The first: pitchers elbow continues to hit the hip at IR causing severe bruising and pain. Two things that I see are that she swims with her glove and swings her but out to open her hips instead of doing it naturally during her stride. I’m looking for help on what causes it and best approach to fix it.

The second: After pitching, her throwing hand really swells up, and it becomes quite painful especially around the thumb inside the palm area. She is 14, and throws 58-61, generating a lot of arm speed and whip. Has anyone ever come access this?
I’m no doctor. But neither are most here. That pain and swelling after pitching can be a serious thing. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome can even be life threatening. This girl needs to see a doctor.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Brush interference does not take place where the arm/elbow hits the hip, the contact is higher up near or at the rib cage. I don't feel that brush interference is that important as a cause, it is the result of good mechanics. When you throw overhand there is no BI.

Jun 26, 2020
I can't coach what I can't see, so I'll leave you with this. Ice therapy machines have been a game changer for us. They are quite cheap also. My daughters pitch and use them regularly

Nov 8, 2018
I totally understand what’s up with dd. I wasn’t sure what the other poster meant. It sounded like open up and let the arm run free. But didn’t want to say anything till I completely understood.
So my take on issue 1 is she is banging more than brushing.
It takes a bit of conscious effort sometimes in the beginning to get the rolling around the thigh and basically stopping the humerus before it slams into hip. Pronation at bottom will help. A lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fury, If I may expound some more. Check to see if pitchers ball is completely up at contact or facing toward 3rd base. Why? It still up at contact the elbow point will crash into the hip. The ball needs to turn as will the arm right prior to brush allowing for soft contact below the elbow on the soft area behind the hip. If she is doing those properly and continues to bruise she would have to be truly smashing her arm into her leg or hip rather than rolling around it.
Hope this helps.

Jul 31, 2019
Fury, If I may expound some more. Check to see if pitchers ball is completely up at contact or facing toward 3rd base. Why? It still up at contact the elbow point will crash into the hip. The ball needs to turn as will the arm right prior to brush allowing for soft contact below the elbow on the soft area behind the hip. If she is doing those properly and continues to bruise she would have to be truly smashing her arm into her leg or hip rather than rolling around it.
Hope this helps.

Great point! Basically pinky lead at brush.

May 5, 2019
I dealt with this issue with my daughter about a year ago. First, get a basketball shooter sleeve or a waist wrap to help with the impact, if you do not the body will subconsciously slow itself down in order not to cause pain or damage, and then that will cause a host of other issues. From all of the advice I received and research I conducted it appears to be caused by two things. Timing is one big one. The arms and legs have to synchronize for pitching, if one lags behind the other then the impact can occur. There are numerous timing drills out there that can help. Another huge one is make sure shes not get too sideways. I know it sounds weird but with brush IR, if she gets too sideways it can cause the impact to occur as well. Really focus on a 45 degree foot plant (does not have to be exact but you do not want 90 either). If you look at those two things I bet you will find that's the problem. A number of pitchers have said they bruise themselves after long layoffs or at the beginning of the season, and that is most likely because the upper and lower half are not together. Good luck!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
@Fury_Mike,
Video from the back and side would be helpful. Otherwise, skim through these for possible ideas:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802