Pitching injury help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
I’ve come across to injury’s recently, one that’s somewhat common the second I’ve never seen before.

The first: pitchers elbow continues to hit the hip at IR causing severe bruising and pain. Two things that I see are that she swims with her glove and swings her but out to open her hips instead of doing it naturally during her stride. I’m looking for help on what causes it and best approach to fix it.

The second: After pitching, her throwing hand really swells up, and it becomes quite painful especially around the thumb inside the palm area. She is 14, and throws 58-61, generating a lot of arm speed and whip. Has anyone ever come access this?

Jul 11, 2020
The first issue is about keeping the hips open. Make sure the arms comes through before the hips do. This is an issue I can most definitely help fix. Put more emphasis on the powerline.
As for the second issue, that’s interesting. If you think it’d help I do video analysis and can let you know what’s going wrong and how to fix it. There were a few times when I pitched that my fingers would go numb. This would only happen if I didn’t release the ball correctly. I would have to guess it doesn’t have as much to do with the arm swing as it does the snap. I’d love to take a look. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you a link. I also should mention, make sure she is warming up correctly. Going straight into arm circles without warming up snaps, T’s or K’s is too much stress on her arm. I’ve seen too many pitchers end up injured because they refused to warm up correctly.

Nov 8, 2018
The first issue is about keeping the hips open. Make sure the arms comes through before the hips do. This is an issue I can most definitely help fix. Put more emphasis on the powerline.
As for the second issue, that’s interesting. If you think it’d help I do video analysis and can let you know what’s going wrong and how to fix it. There were a few times when I pitched that my fingers would go numb. This would only happen if I didn’t release the ball correctly. I would have to guess it doesn’t have as much to do with the arm swing as it does the snap. I’d love to take a look. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you a link. I also should mention, make sure she is warming up correctly. Going straight into arm circles without warming up snaps, T’s or K’s is too much stress on her arm. I’ve seen too many pitchers end up injured because they refused to warm up correctly.

Before I really say anything I want to be sure of what you are describing in the first issue. Are you suggesting no brush contact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2019
Before I really say anything I want to be sure of what you are describing in the first issue. Are you suggesting no brush contact?

She uses brush contact to assist with IR, but the elbow is getting pretty bruised up. She will be good for a while then will start to have issues

Jul 31, 2019
That would be awesome! We just returned from the Elite Select WFC’s, so It will be 4-5 days before we are back together as I’m giving them some recovery time.

Nov 8, 2018
She uses brush contact to assist with IR, but the elbow is getting pretty bruised up. She will be good for a while then will start to have issues

I totally understand what’s up with dd. I wasn’t sure what the other poster meant. It sounded like open up and let the arm run free. But didn’t want to say anything till I completely understood.
So my take on issue 1 is she is banging more than brushing.
It takes a bit of conscious effort sometimes in the beginning to get the rolling around the thigh and basically stopping the humerus before it slams into hip. Pronation at bottom will help. A lot.

Nov 8, 2018
I totally understand what’s up with dd. I wasn’t sure what the other poster meant. It sounded like open up and let the arm run free. But didn’t want to say anything till I completely understood.
So my take on issue 1 is she is banging more than brushing.
It takes a bit of conscious effort sometimes in the beginning to get the rolling around the thigh and basically stopping the humerus before it slams into hip. Pronation at bottom will help. A lot.

Ps. They have arm sleeves that can help with this too.

Nov 8, 2018
There does not have to be contact between the arm during the down swing of the pitch, during the snap or follow through. Coaches teach this to emphasize keeping the arm close to the body. Essentially, you want the arm to be as close to the body as it can be without actually hitting anything (Including brushing of the shirt). If her posture is correct, which to me it sounds like she may be bending over a bit to compensate for trying to not hit herself, her full arm circle should be above her toes when looking from above.

Honestly your first words just threw me off. There doesn’t have to be contact. I’m pretty sure we won’t agree on technique here. Most of the folks here will agree there is some sort of contact ie brush that stops the upper arm and propels the lower arm.
With that I see where your head is at.
Thanks.

Jul 11, 2020
Honestly your first words just threw me off. There doesn’t have to be contact. I’m pretty sure we won’t agree on technique here. Most of the folks here will agree there is some sort of contact ie brush that stops the upper arm and propels the lower arm.
With that I see where your head is at.
Thanks.

It’s pretty much as simple as this. Do you want her to suffer from having bruises on her arm and insist on brush contact or do you want her to enjoy pitching? And I’m not talking about the left arm at all here. Strictly the throwing arm. And also, I’m still new here and thought I was replying to the original poster. I didn’t even notice someone new said something haha. Oops. I’m just saying that sometimes girls take being told “make sure you brush your shirt“ too literally. We don’t need to be killing ourselves. If they’re getting bruised then something is wrong. Also, we don’t want to “roll around the thigh”. We let the arm come through the throwing zone before the hip does. I’d be happy to go into more detail about this topic with you in messages if you’re interested!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802