Pitching/Infield Glove - 13year+

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Also just relaying info from major glove manufacturers!

Gloves are similar looking with color, lacing, and leather, but one of the main differences between baseball and softball gloves is the design. The ball, for both sports, plays a huge role. A regulation baseball is only 9” and a regulation softball is about 12”. So, baseball gloves are made with a smaller and longer pocket since the ball is smaller, whereas the pocket of a softball glove is deeper and shorter since the ball is larger. For example, if you had a 12-inch baseball and softball glove side-by-side the baseball glove would be taller because the softball pocket is much deeper which makes the glove wider that is it tall.

Another thing to note in the design is the web of these gloves. Baseball gloves tend to be more versatile with its webs since the pocket isn’t as deep, unlike the softball gloves. Pitchers for both sports need a closed web to hide the ball but the web in a softball glove will tend to run deeper in the pocket than a baseball glove.
Hey hootie, I get and understand you just wrote here! Real world playing and experience throws everything you wrote out the window! My DD hasn't used a "softball" glove since she was 10, and there's a lot of guys on this board here who's DD uses a baseball glove, along with probably 100 other girls outside of this forum I've put into high quality baseball gloves!

Bottom line is most softball gloves suck, most not all. Some manufacturers are finally going away from Velcro wrist closures, finally! All the depth measurements / pocket sizes aside, it's about the internals for me, the guts on a high quality glove (A2000, HOH, etc.) are just head and shoulders above / better than a dedicated softball glove, which are just cheap and terrible inside!

And speaking of all the sizes and measurements you were talking about.....it's not an issue if you know what model baseball gloves to look for! I've done this a couple of times!

Sep 7, 2020
My daughter's pitching coach put her Pro1000 on the other day and was instantly in love with it. Said it was one of the best feeling gloves she has ever put on. Really impressed with the quality o the leather. She pitched for a lower D1 school up here in New England.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2020
What a horrible glove! :rolleyes: You should be ashamed posting that glove here!

@prsboogie, I forgot to throw a in there, my bad!
I'm thinking about picking up another one possibly in black for, just in case... in case quality gloves become scarce over the next year or two

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2020
Do glove sizes really mean much? It seems they are different from brand to brand.

As far as webs I shave always heard basket or modified trap to hide the grip....but I have a hard time seeing a third base coach seeing through an H web. I think most pitchers get caught when the grip the ball out of the glove.

I just think pitchers are perhaps a different breed. I am speeding of pitchers that are primarily pitchers when in the field. They have to catch the ball more than anyone with the exception of the catcher. Most of time it is a leisurely throw. They rarely have to field a hard hit ball. When they do it is usually an adrenaline filled reaction they don't notice any sting. This is why I think pitchers prefer a little softer glove.
I am sure you are right, they differ from brand to brand. She wants a smaller one to pitch, but by smaller I think she really means a light weight glove so it doesn't hinder her glove arm motion. She is pretty good at gripping the ball in her glove, so not worried too much about that.

May 5, 2019
Hey hootie, I get and understand you just wrote here! Real world playing and experience throws everything you wrote out the window! My DD hasn't used a "softball" glove since she was 10, and there's a lot of guys on this board here who's DD uses a baseball glove, along with probably 100 other girls outside of this forum I've put into high quality baseball gloves!

Bottom line is most softball gloves suck, most not all. Some manufacturers are finally going away from Velcro wrist closures, finally! All the depth measurements / pocket sizes aside, it's about the internals for me, the guts on a high quality glove (A2000, HOH, etc.) are just head and shoulders above / better than a dedicated softball glove, which are just cheap and terrible inside!

And speaking of all the sizes and measurements you were talking about.....it's not an issue if you know what model baseball gloves to look for! I've done this a couple of times!
I guess you're right what the heck do the engineers at Wilson know, lets all listen to the guy in the discuss fastpitch forum.....

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I guess you're right what the heck do the engineers at Wilson know, lets all listen to the guy in the discuss fastpitch forum.....
Smart choice! I'd venture to say "most" engineers haven't been on as many softball fields as I have, or put as many girls in gloves as I have....

I'm in the automotive field.....I get to see engineering stupidity on a daily basis!

@ANNASDAD has helped MANY people with gloves on this board as well as others. His knowledge is second to none. From his advice we purchased a Pro206, a baseball glove, which swallows a softball. Awesome glove. So yeah lets all listen to the guy in the discuss fastpitch forum....

Oct 1, 2014
USA
AD, kudos to being so damn nice these days... hahaha, must be getting old or something?

BTW, the All Star Baseball glove that I mentioned earlier is currently going for $150. I ordered that one (with the free return option at the time) and a Rawlings Pro S1000 (also a baseball glove) from the Rawlings Myrtle Beach outlet store (it retailed for about $350 I think). I was also concerned about the hand and finger stall at the time but both of them fit my DD perfectly (she has what I would describe as medium sized hands). The leather on the Rawlings is very impressive. DD chose to use the the All Star and it is a sharp looking glove for sure with very solid leather as well. I'm holding on to the Rawlings for some unknown reason...maybe to play catch with the DGD someday or maybe just to collect dust on the trophy shelf, we' have to see? Both gloves have the basket web. She hasn't had any problem ever catching any hard hit balls or hard throws from her twin sister who is a catcher and by all accounts has cannon. Both DD's are playing DIII college ball now. Definitely wouldn't recommend either glove if spending a lot of time at 3rd or 1B but they'd surely do the job at MI. My pitcher DD has a separate glove (Vinci RV1961 which is indeed a softball glove) for OF, not that we would have a problem with a BB glove out there either!

And just to reiterate - AnnasDad knows his stuff very well... ;-)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478