Pitching in wet conditions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
This past weekends 12U tournament ended up getting rained out after the 2nd inning of our second Saturday game (bummer) but it made me think of what advice to give the pitcher when pitching in such deplorable conditions - muddy pitching circle & wet grip. Both teams were toweling off the ball anytime it made ground contact (with the umpires consent of course :D) but still it was far less than ideal.

My advice was shorten up the stride (to protect against slipping) and throw at 90% with a slightly tighter grip (to help in correcting release with a wet ball).

Any other recommendations?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
This past weekends 12U tournament ended up getting rained out after the 2nd inning of our second Saturday game (bummer) but it made me think of what advice to give the pitcher when pitching in such deplorable conditions - muddy pitching circle & wet grip. Both teams were toweling off the ball anytime it made ground contact (with the umpires consent of course :D) but still it was far less than ideal.

My advice was shorten up the stride (to protect against slipping) and throw at 90% with a slightly tighter grip (to help in correcting release with a wet ball).

Any other recommendations?

I generally don't see the use of rosin bags in the girls game. Keep one in the back pocket (so it too doesn't get wet). The powder type rosin is the best. I pound it in my glove and get it on my hands.

May 5, 2009
Practice pitching with a wet ball. Take a bucket of water with you next practice. Have your DD practice throwing all her pitches after dropping the ball in the bucket. Have her practice in the rain, it's going to happen some time. The pitcher that has experienced it is going to be ahead. We have had to play in light rain the last two weekends, it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478