Pitching Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
Forgive the poor framing. I'm looking for help on the finish. Looks like she's stopping her drive foot instead of stepping through it? Recommended drills would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Sep 19, 2018
My daughter just started taking lessons with a Tincher. Maybe I have not learned as much as I think..... Her landing foot is completely closed instead of being more like 45 degrees to the plate. That leads to her hips being completely open at release so she is hunching over to get her arm around her body.

My daughter does leave the plant foot behind once in a while. She's never been given a drill though. Only a reminder, 'Make sure to finish with the back leg."

Nov 4, 2015
Love the reaction. If she is having fun, she will learn faster. Keep her working and the smarter folks around here will guide you well. I'm just an idiot bucket dad that has to make sure he can communicate with a 13 year old hormone monster when things are not going well at a lesson!!

Oct 4, 2018
Hah!

The two posters above me got my top two points:

1. Love the enthusiasm and joy. Good stuff
2. Plant foot landing way too closed. 45 - 50 degrees is "recommended". I know it varies per pitcher, but hers is too closed.

I much prefer to see her entire motion, from the beginning. Much more so than where the ball goes. So for future videos, it's helpful to focus on her, not the net/catcher. Some issues might be because of her initial stance, or drive foot, or things we can't see in this video.

Looks like she's not keeping her belly button in front of her nose ("pitching tall") as much as my DD's pitching coach recommends. I don't necessarily see a big lean, but if you freeze it at the 0:13 second mark, she could be much "taller" there.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2016
<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:75%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3tIWIZN1mWl0utWNjD" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/3tIWIZN1mWl0utWNjD">via GIPHY</a></p>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802