Pitching gurus, Need advice with pitching style...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's hard to tell from that angle what her arm mechanics are, it doesn't look too bad but a view from the 3rd base angle would tell you a lot more. Take some video yourself on your phone and compare it to Amanda Scarborough. It's the arm-elbow-wrist-hand action on the downswing into release that is the most misunderstood part of the motion.

Jan 6, 2018
Even though I look at almost all of them, I don't really comment much on videos people post, but the other poster (I think it was Armwhip) is right, from that angle it's impossible to see enough.
Yes. It’s impossible to see everything, but I know you know a lot based on that spin! My $.02: as she hits 11 or so she flips on top of the ball, at best a handshake on the way down, and not a lot of bend in her arm - if any = Not much whip at all. Good whip will produce a tighter spin even if the release isn’t right. She should focus on an arm whip progression - take the drive out all together. That’s by no means everything she needs, but it’s what jumps out to me.

May 16, 2016
So, the pitcher they are using in their Wrist Snap video clearly has Internal Rotation, and I'm assuming a high elbow finish. Many on this board are of the opinion High Elbow is an entire pitching motion, when it really is just a type of Finish. Just like Palm down is a Finish.

I've seen plenty of pitchers who warm up with a wrist snap drill, and are throwing in the Mid 60s.

I know instructors who teach loose and whippy, and none of their students ever topped 60mph.

Look at the results an instructor has, and don't focus on what drills they are using/teaching.

Don't discount early success either.... many girls stop pitching after 10u, because they never had any success in 10u. Walking batters until you hit the run limit is NOT fun.

If your instructor had your 10U DD throwing 75% Strikes in the high 40s, RUN back, don't walk, and get back into lessons.

Just because an instructor teaches the "Right" way according to the "experts" on this board, doesn't necessarily make them a good instructor. Trust the results.

1668112265857.png

Aug 21, 2008
So, the pitcher they are using in their Wrist Snap video clearly has Internal Rotation, and I'm assuming a high elbow finish. Many on this board are of the opinion High Elbow is an entire pitching motion, when it really is just a type of Finish. Just like Palm down is a Finish.

I've seen plenty of pitchers who warm up with a wrist snap drill, and are throwing in the Mid 60s.

I know instructors who teach loose and whippy, and none of their students ever topped 60mph.

Look at the results an instructor has, and don't focus on what drills they are using/teaching.

Don't discount early success either.... many girls stop pitching after 10u, because they never had any success in 10u. Walking batters until you hit the run limit is NOT fun.

If your instructor had your 10U DD throwing 75% Strikes in the high 40s, RUN back, don't walk, and get back into lessons.

Just because an instructor teaches the "Right" way according to the "experts" on this board, doesn't necessarily make them a good instructor. Trust the results.

View attachment 26839
Interesting post. Are you saying you believe people confuse someone's finish with their mechanics? Like confusing the high finish as you described with H/E mechanics?

The last sentence/paragraph is particularly interesting, are you implying that not everyone dispensing advice here is an "expert"? Not looking to argue, just clarifying.

Jun 8, 2016
The last sentence/paragraph is particularly interesting, are you implying that not everyone dispensing advice here is an "expert"? Not looking to argue, just clarifying.
Kind of looks like he was dissing you..😂

I wonder if he will have somebody challenge him to a fight in a local park like what happened to me on here when somebody else thought I was doing that to you..He is not as charming as me so probably not.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas

View attachment 26839
"If your instructor had your 10U DD throwing 75% Strikes in the high 40s, RUN back, don't walk, and get back into lessons."

The percentage of strikes and speed is an awful metric for judging a pitching instructor.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"If your instructor had your 10U DD throwing 75% Strikes in the high 40s, RUN back, don't walk, and get back into lessons."

The percentage of strikes and speed is an awful metric for judging a pitching instructor.
Following interesting discussion going on.

@tomorrow can you please explain a little more your comment about strikes and speed awful metric for judging pitching instructor. Just interested in the detail.🙂 just following convo. 🙂

Mar 15, 2019
California
Yes. It’s impossible to see everything, but I know you know a lot based on that spin! My $.02: as she hits 11 or so she flips on top of the ball, at best a handshake on the way down, and not a lot of bend in her arm - if any = Not much whip at all. Good whip will produce a tighter spin even if the release isn’t right. She should focus on an arm whip progression - take the drive out all together. That’s by no means everything she needs, but it’s what jumps out to me.
My oldest DD that converted from HE to IR had to work on this same tendency where she got on top of the ball at around 11 o'clock. She'd try to recover and get under it again but it made for an odd arm circle. For this pitcher I also see bending at the waist, which is another HE tendency. I would suggest more emphasis on front side resistance (FSR) and making sure the body's energy follows through to the target for her bottom half. Emphasizing a strong core through delivery will help. For the arm, just need to get reps in to retrain the arm to be relaxed and let it fall palm up. As the FSR "push" into the ground occurs, the legs and core will "pull" the arm as it falls. This connection will help her arm speed and whip, which will improve her spin (and speed as a result).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2