Pitching from the glove question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
When pitching from the glove at what point must the ball and the glove separate? Does the rules for this change for different associations?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The hands need to be separated when 'taking the sign', then brought together for a minimum of one second. After that you're good to go. The only question is whether or not they need to be stationary for that second.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The hands need to be separated when 'taking the sign', then brought together for a minimum of one second. After that you're good to go. The only question is whether or not they need to be stationary for that second.
I needed this info also, But I am wondering during the actually pitching motion. (for those that push the glove and ball out at the same time). Must the ball and glove separate at 3 o clock or 12 o clock? How does the rule book describe it?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Hands do NOT need to stationary. Rules do not define when they must separate, that is limited only by anatomy.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I needed this info also, But I am wondering during the actually pitching motion. (for those that push the glove and ball out at the same time). Must the ball and glove separate at 3 o clock or 12 o clock? How does the rule book describe it?

Once the pitch is in motion the separation point is purely up to the pitcher.

I ask DD to stay together up to the chest during practice. Knowing that in game separation will happen sooner on its own.

Aug 21, 2008
When pitching from the glove at what point must the ball and the glove separate? Does the rules for this change for different associations?

There is no rule or requirement for when the hands have to separate during the forward motion of the pitch. You can keep them together as long or as short as you like as far as the rulebook is concerned.

Armwhip is correct that the hands have to be separate when you get in the rubber. The ball can be in either the glove or the hand. One of my biggest pet peeves in the world is the people who yell "Present the ball". That rule went out of the rulebooks 40 years ago but there are people who still think it's there. Nobody has the "present the ball", your hands have to be apart when you get on the rubber, that's it. It doesn't matter which hand the ball is in. I understand that some parents and coaches just repeat what they hear about various things but it's inexcusable for an umpire to not know the rules. They are being paid to know, apply and enforce the rules.

***The ONLY exception to this "present the ball" thing is if your league has their own modifications to the pitching rules. Organizations and leagues can modify rules any way they want. An example is the double bag at first. Not all places accept and use the double bag. So, places can alter the rules in various ways. The ISC, for example (International Softball Congress) which is an exclusively all male fastpitch organization, no women, no slow pitch, it's all male fastpitch has their own rule book too. However, their book says they follow the ASA/USA rule book with the following exceptions... then it will list their rule differences with those of ASA/USA. Things like not having the double bag at first, not having the "flex" player, etc. are examples of their rule differences. All other rules are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802