Pitching coach, Ken Krause, my first complaint!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 19, 2014
Matt, do you wear shin and knee protectors now?

SS
Yes I have shin guard... I was just going to catch a few for her while the catcher was gearing up. We were in Columbus for a tournament. Ya I caught it all right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Ha,ha,ha.

Not laughing at your leg, but the way you phrase this thread was pretty funny.

My daughter is only a 8u player and I almost always where shin guards and a catchers mask when she is pitching. Key word is "ALMOST" always were shin guards . I have had 5 left knee surgeries and the other day she hit directly in my bad knee during a pitching lesson. I threw a couple F bombs right after it happened. Right after I realized I was swearing I immediately told my daughter I was swearing at myself because I knew better, and that I was not mad at her at all for hitting me.

Feb 17, 2014
You guys need to learn to get your legs out of the way. Sometimes getting your legs out of the way is more important than catching the ball. :D

Crystal, I'm like your husband. I'm too good to wear gear. :D

Feb 29, 2016
Hi Shooting star, this is my first post too, and I feel your pain! My daughter is still in 10u but she's a lefty that has always had a drop type spin to her pitches so I've had many swollen ankles and bruises! I've trained myself though, and they laugh at me at practice cause my legs go up and out faster than a cat getting a bath! Glad to see you found the right coach and she is progressing quickly, that's a great jump in speed for that short of time!

Yes I have shin guard... I was just going to catch a few for her while the catcher was gearing up. We were in Columbus for a tournament. Ya I caught it all right

Lol, yes you did catch it!

Gambler Bob, glad you found the humor. You read it as it was intended.

Crystal, meme will be men, right? I shoulda learned long ago, just as your hubby. May your daughter have all the success in the world, and batter his shins in the process :)

Spleen, older and slower, as Ken said. Ha. 20 years ago I could SPRINT up mountains! Now I'd rather use a golf cart if I could.

Skychief, you painted a great visual with your cat mataphor. Good stuff! Your daughter too will make great progress at times and less at other times. We work ALOT! Nearly everyday. Sometimes 3 times per day on different things. We also see coach very regularly, it helps to keep her on path and always pushing bad habits out of the way. DD is very competitive and never admits it!
Thank you for making my first thread as your first post! I look forward to chatting about our girls and their pitching progress and successes.

SS

Nov 29, 2009
Maybe I was stupid... Dunno... I never used any gear. Even when she was hitting 65+ in college.

In all the years I caught for my DD and other pitchers I never took one off the shins. I would kneel so I always got a good look at what the ball was doing. I learned early on how to read the spin right away and I didn't have to catch every bad pitch. Just block it so It wouldn't hit me. The other thing I learned, and I used to teach it to my catchers. What a spinning ball is going to do when it hits the ground. They do not bounce straight. They will always kickt o one side depending on the pitch spin.

I will tell you this. As they get older and the control gets better you get hit less.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd was working on a drop. We practiced in our pole barn on concrete, so low pitches tended to skip and stay low. After a couple of bruised toes I thought I would wear steel toe shoes. So I’m sitting on the bucket and I lean and reach to get a low one. Skips under the glove off the steel toe and straight up my leg.
Hit me hard in the worst place.
Knocked me off the bucket, I’m on the ground. If you’ve ever taken one hard there you know that sensation where you can actually taste the pain.
So after about 10 seconds I realize my dd hasn’t made a sound. I roll over and see that she is slowly moving toward the barn door. So I tell her I’m OK but give me a minute. Then I tell her, if you want you can laugh. After a minute I got up and decided we had enough for one day.
Wore a cup after that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28